Survey of Teacher Education Faculty

Jackie Sipes is the Education Liaison and Emerging Technologies Librarian in Research and Instruction Services (Paley Library). Towards the end of the spring semester, Jackie conducted a survey of the faculty in the department of teacher education. Nancy Turner asked her about this assessment project.

NT: What were you trying to learn by conducting this assessment?

JS: I’ve been here for just under two years, and I wanted to learn more about the kinds of research-based assignments being used in the teacher education program. I felt like I hadn’t yet made inroads into the program, either with faculty and students. I wanted to find out about their needs in library instruction and student research support. This was also a way of letting faculty learn about me and what I can do for them. I also wanted to know about specific courses being taught that incorporated research assignments.

NT: How did you choose your assessment method?

JS: I chose to conduct a survey because it would reach the greatest number of faculty and could be brief and unobtrusive. I chose to focus just on faculty so that I could tailor the questions to get their impression of how they felt about their students’ skills in information literacy.

I was a little disappointed in the number of responses I got (9) but the information I gathered is very useful. Something is better than nothing!

NT: Right. You can’t necessarily generalize about all the faculty from these responses. So what did you learn from the feedback?

JS: Most of the respondents are aware of the library’s services, but they don’t feel they have time to incorporate a full-blown instruction session in their schedule. So I will be emphasizing to them the other ways I can connect with their classes and students, like a 5-minute “drop in.” While most of our instruction sessions teach students how to locate scholarly articles, I learned that teacher education students are often required to find other types of materials as well: lesson plans, curriculum documents, or general subject information with which they can build a lesson plan. So I’ll start incorporating those types of searches into my instruction. And I learned that there may be a different use of language in describing a research assignment. For instance, students might be required to do an assessment of a classroom intervention.

NT: Will you make any changes based on what you learned?

JS: Definitely. I’ll make sure that instructors know that I can come in for just a few minutes to introduce myself and be visible. I’ll focus my outreach efforts towards those classes that were identified as having a research component.

NT: If you did this process again, is there anything you’d do differently?

JS: I was pretty happy with the questions that I asked. It got me the information I was looking for. I think that I’ll try conducting the survey in the beginning of the semester next time. The survey could be part of my outreach e-mails where I let faculty know about what the library can do for them.

This entry was posted in instruction and student learning and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.