Aims of the Project:
Research on the biological basis of binge-eating has been limited despite Binge-Eating Disorder being the most prevalent eating disorder and a significant public health problem. This study will be comparing women who have Binge Eating Disorders (overweight, normal weight) to matched Healthy Controls (overweight, normal weight).
1. First, a preliminary phone conversation will be scheduled to allow for research staff to provide more information about the study and determine if the study is a good fit for you.
2. If eligible, you will be invited to our lab at Temple University Main campus for a clinical screen. You will be asked to complete questionnaires before the visit to shorten the visit. If you are seeing a physician, we ask that you bring their details to the in-person visit. Please bring any medication details to the in-person visit..
3. If this study is a good fit for you, you will be asked to participate in other sessions, which can include an assessment of visual and memory spatial tasks, a taste test, and collection of your saliva.
4. If this study is a good fit for you, and you are fMRI eligible, we will also ask you to visit our lab for a mock fMRI scan to orient you to the tasks you will be doing in the scanner.
5. The third visit will take place at Temple University Hospital where participants will look at images of food in the fMRI and photos will be taken of their brain.
Eligibility Criteria and Contact Information
- 18 Years or Older
- Have a healthy weight (body mass index of 19-25) or be overweight (body mass index of 30-35).
- Have no dietary restrictions (vegan or lactose intolerant)
- Meet criteria for binge eating disorder or does not.
- Are eligible for an fMRI study (no non-removable metal devices implanted or claustrophobia )
- Are not pregnant
- Are prepared to participate in two to three in-person appointments lasting between four to six hours each.
If you are interested and would like more information, please contact our clinic at (215) 204-2645.