The BSW Senior Year Field Practicum provides learning opportunities in generalist social work practice. Students are placed in agencies that can offer a full spectrum of social work experiences and support the BSW curriculum. The generalist requirement takes precedence over requests to work with specific populations or on specific issues.
Planning for this experience:
Please review the current Field Manual to assist you in your planning process: BSW Field Education Manual 2019-2020
It is essential that students plan carefully for their field placements, particularly with respect to the mandated hours per semester, educational and supervision requirements.
- The Office of Field Education expects that students with traditional hours of availability will be able to do their internships during the regular weekday, business hours.
- Extensive planning is required for students with non-traditional hours of availability.
- The field office will offer students suggestions of agency sites but strongly encourages students who work full-time to complete field placements in an organization that would qualify for an employment based placement or submit a self-referral form.
BSW Time Requirements for Field Practicum:
- BSW Senior students MUST attend their internships for a minimum of 15 or 16 hours per week
- Field Practicum is two semesters long
- Required 200 hours per semester
- All students entering Field Practicum will be required to attend a Field Orientation prior to the beginning of their field practicum experience
- For your reference: BSW Field Calendar 2019-20
Options to complete your Field Practicum: (You must pick one of these options below when student submits the BSW Field Practicum application)
- Field Department Placement: A Field Education Specialist will be assigned to locate a placement for your upcoming year based on the application. Student must have one full day or 2 half days available during the weekday to be eligible for this option.
- Employment-Based: (Employment Based Proposal Information and application)
- For students who would like to complete a field placement at their place of employment. The Employment Based-Proposal, completed in addition to the Field application, is due within 30 days of submitting the Field Application.
- Student Self-Referral: (Self Referral Information and application)
- A student can independently contact an agency to solicit their own field placement including making inquiries to determine if an agency is interested in a student intern. Students who want to intern at a specific agency or who only have evening/weekend availability are required to complete a Self-Referral. The Self-Referral Form, completed in addition to the Field application, is due within 30 days of submitting the Field Application, after completing an interview with an agency.