ALL STUDENTS are required to apply for this clearances in the state they will be completing a field practicum in no later than 45 days prior to the start of the semester, unless otherwise requested during your agency interview. The Office of Field Education will not collect these documents; these documents are for you to keep and turn in to your agency.
- Obtaining clearances are required for all students going into field practicum courses, including Employment-based students. Students must obtain their own set of all 3 clearances (FBI, Criminal Background, Child Abuse) or any/all state requirements prior to the start of the field practicum or they may be dropped from the course and pulled from practicum.
If a student has a prior criminal record, or related concerns, they should disclose this to the Field Education Specialist for purposes of planning during the placement process.
- If your placement is outside of Pennsylvania, check with your field instructor concerning state requirements for Child Abuse Clearance and Criminal History checks.
- Field agencies require that these documents are submitted annually, therefore any documents over a year old will need to be updated.
- The Office of Field Education strongly recommends you update your medical records.
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING THESE DOCUMENTS. DO NOT SUBMIT THEM WITH YOUR FIELD APPLICATION. ALWAYS KEEP A COPY OF THESE DOCUMENTS FOR YOUR RECORDS!
- Students who do not have these documents prior to the start of field will be asked to drop the course.
- Students are responsible for all costs incurred in this process.
PENNSYLVANIA: (Please identify yourself as a volunteer for all clearances)
- The DE criminal history and FBI clearance, must be done in person at 1 of 3 county locations. Results returned 2-4 weeks after submission.
- Website with pertinent info: http://dsp.delaware.gov/state_bureau_of_identification.shtml
- http://www.njsp.org/about/serv_chrc.html to learn more about that state’s fingerprinting and background checks but are advised to check with their agency at their interview about agency clearance requirements as these can vary.
- Child Abuse Clearances are only submitted by the agency. Students can not apply on their own behalf.
Any other States:
- The FBI Clearance searches a national database and can be completed from any state
- Follow this link to search for FBI Fingerprinting locations: http://myfbireport.com/locations/index.php