JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (* students/postdocs)
In review/ revision/preparation
- Ravi, S., T. E. Huxman et al., Ecophysiological (carbon and water cycle) responses of invasive and native range grass communities to simulated warming and drought
- Wang* G, J. Li , and S. Ravi . Soil water content constrains the re-establishment shrubs and grasses following a fire: Implications for the reversibility of a shrub encroachment.
- Choi*, C., A. Cagle*, S. Ravi et al., Impacts of solar PV arrays on soil physicochemical properties in a native grassland ecosystem
- Choi*. C. S. Ravi et al. , Opportunities for co-location of solar PV with agriculture for cost reductions and carbon, water, and energy footprint mitigation in the tropics
- Wang, L., S. Ravi, et al ., Divergent vegetation fog and dew water use in the Namib Desert,
- Berger et al., Nitrate removal in biochar-augmented woodchip biofilters: Effect of rainfall extremes
- Li J., S. Ravi, J. Sankey, and S. Van Pelt, Shift from grassland to shrubland: A comparative analysis of recent studies in the northern Chihuahuan Desert grasslands.
- Ravi. S., H. Gonzales*, I. Buynevich, J. Li, J. Sankey, D. Dukes* and G. Wang (2018), On the development of a magnetic susceptibility-based tracer for sediment transport research, Earth Surface Processes & Landforms, doi.org/10.1002/esp.4536 [Wiley, IF: 3.75]
- Wang*. G., J. Li, S. Ravi, B. Theiling, and J. Sankey (2018), Fire changes the spatial distribution and sources of soil organic carbon in a grassland-shrubland transition zone, Plant & Soil, in press [Springer IF: 3.31]
- Gonzales*, H., S. Ravi, J, Li and J. Sankey (2018), Ecohydrological implications of sediment trapping by sparse vegetation in drylands, Ecohydrology, doi.org/10.1002/eco.1986. [Wiley, IF: 2.75]
- Dukes*, D., H. Gonzales*, S. Ravi, D. Grandstaff, J. Li, J. Sankey, G. Wang*, and S. Van Pelt (2018), Quantifying post-fire aeolian sediment transport using rare earth element tracers, J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosciences, doi:10.1002/2017JG004284. [American Geophysical Union & Wiley, IF: 3.48]
- Li, J., and S. Ravi (2018), Interactions among hydrological-aeolian processes and vegetation determine grain-size distribution of sediments in a semi-arid coppice dune (nebkha) system, J. Arid Environments, 154, 24-33. [Elsevier, IF: 2.3]
- Wang*., G., J. Li, S. Ravi, D. Dukes*, H. Gonzales*, and J. Sankey (2018), Post-fire redistribution of soil carbon and nitrogen at a grassland-shrubland ecotone, Ecosystems, doi.org/10.1007/s10021-018-0260-2 [Springer, IF: 4.03]
- Trifunovic*, B., Gonzales*, H., S. Ravi, and B. Sharratt (2018), Dynamic effects of biochar concentration and particle size on hydraulic properties of biochar – amended sand, Land Degradation & Development, doi.org/10.1002/ldr.2906 [Wiley, IF: 7.27].
- Kumar, G., S. Ravi, S. Micallef, E. Brown, and D. Macarisin (2018), Aeolian contamination of fruits by enteric pathogens: An unexplored paradigm, Curr. Opin. Food Sci., doi:10.1016/j.cofs.2017.12.003. [Elsevier, IF: 3.73]
- Ravi, S., L. Wang, K. Kaseke, and I. Buynevich, Ecohydrological interactions within “fairy circles” in the Namib Desert: Revisiting the self-organization hypothesis, J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosciences , 122, doi:10.1002/2016JG003604. [American Geophysical Union & Wiley, IF: 3.48]
- * Featured in the cover (as cover image of JGR) and most downloaded/cited paper of the year (2017-2018).
*Research spotlight in EOS, Witman, S. (2017), Mysterious “fairy circles” continue to enchant scientists, Eos, 98, https://doi.org/10.1029/2017EO071017.
*Commentary by AGU Editor , 2017), The magic of fairy circles: Built or created?, J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosci., 122, 1294–1295, doi:10.1002/2017JG003855. (
- Wang*, G., J. Li , S. Ravi, S. van Pelt , D. Dukes*, and P. J. Costa, Tracers techniques in aeolian research: Applications, challenges, and prospects, Earth Science Reviews, 170, 1-16. (Invited) [Elsevier, IF: 9.42].
- van Pelt, S., Baddock, M., T. M. Zobeck, S, Ravi, D’Odorico, and A. Bhattachan (2017), Total vertical sediment flux and PM10 emissions from disturbed Chihuahuan Desert surfaces, Geoderma, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2017.01.031. [Elsevier, IF: 4.14]
- Ratajczak, Z., P. D’Odorico, J. Nippert, S. Collins, N. Brunsell and S. Ravi (2017), Changes in spatial variance during grassland-shrubland state transition, Journal of Ecology, 10.1111/1365-2745.12696. [British Ecological Society & Wiley, IF: 5.18]
- Ravi, S., B. Sharratt, J. Li, S. Olshevski*, and Z. Meng, Particulate matter emissions from biochar-amended soils as a potential tradeoff to the negative emission potential, Scientific Reports, 6, 35984; doi: 10.1038/srep35984. [Nature Publishing, IF: 4.6]
- Ravi, S., J. Macknick, D. Lobell, C. Field, K. Ganesan, R. Jain, M. Elchinger, and B. Stoltenberg (2016), Colocation opportunities for large solar infrastructures and agriculture in drylands, Applied Energy, 165: 383-392. [Elsevier, IF: 7.88]
- Yu, K., G. S. Okin, S. Ravi, and P. D’Odorico (2016), Potential of grass invasion in desert shrublands to create novel ecosystem states under variable climate, Ecohydrology, DOI: 1002/eco.1742 [Wiley, IF: 2.8].
- Ravi, S. (2015) Partner crops with solar facilities, Nature, 524, 161 doi: 10.1038/524161a. [Nature Publishing, IF: 41.57]
- Wang, L., Manzoni, S. Ravi, D. Riveros-Iregui and K. Caylor (2015), Dynamic interactions of ecohydrological and biogeochemical processes in water-limited systems, Ecosphere, 6:art133.http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/ES15-00122.1, [Invited by the editorial board for the Ecological Society of America Centennial Paper]. [Ecological Society of America, IF: 2.67]
- Ravi, S., D. Lobell and C. Field (2014), Tradeoffs and synergies between biofuel production and large-scale solar infrastructure in deserts, Environmental Science & Technology, 48(5), 3021-3030. [American Chemical Society Publications, IF: 6.65]
*Media Coverage: IEEE Spectrum, Discovery News, Science Daily, Phys.Org, World News Network (WNN), Factor Magazine, Outside Magazine, Motherboard, Sustainability Matters, Futurity
- Hernandez, R., … S. Ravi et al (2014), Environmental impacts of utility-scale solar energy, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2013.08.041. [Elsevier, IF: 10.01]
- Sankey, J., C. S. Wallace and S. Ravi (2013), Phenology-based remote sensing of post-fire “disturbance windows” of accelerated soil erosion, Ecological Indicators, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2013.02.004. [Elsevier, IF: 4.39].
- Sankey, J.,S. Ravi, J., C. S. Wallace and T. E. Huxman (2012), Quantifying soil change in degraded landscapes: shrub encroachment and effects of fire and vegetation removal in desert grasslands, Journal of Geophysical Research- Biogeosciences, doi: 10:1029/2012JG002002. [Featured in USGS newsroom] [Elsevier, IF: 3.65]
- D’Odorico, P., A. Bhattachan, K. Davis, S. Ravi and C. Runyan (2012), Global desertification: Drivers and Feedbacks, Advances in Water Resources, doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.01.013 [in Most cited & most downloaded paper in AWR in last 5 years ][Featured in the UNESCO – Global Water Forum] [Elsevier, IF: 4.42]
- Ravi, S., M. Baddock, and T. M. Zobeck (2012) Field evidence for differences in post-fire sediment transport related to vegetation type in semi-arid rangelands, Aeolian Research. org/10.1016/j.aeolia.2011.12.002. [Elsevier, IF: 2.9]
- Turnbull, L., B. Wilcox, S. Ravi, J. Belnap, G. S. Okin, K. Caylor and T. E. Huxman (2012), The role of ecohydrological interactions and feedbacks on ecosystem state change, Ecohydrology. doi: 10.1002/eco.265. [Wiley, IF: 2.8]
- Wilcox B. P., L. Turnbull, M. H. Young, J. Williams, S. Ravi, M. S. Seyfried, D. R. Bowling, R. S. Scott, T. Caldwell, J. Wainwright and M. Germino (2012), Ecohydrological consequences of grasses invading shrublands: Comparing cold and warm deserts, Ecohydrology 4, doi: 10.1002/eco.247. [Wiley, IF: 2.8]
- Ravi, S., J. Li. and T. M. Zobeck (2012), Editorial: Aeolian Processes: Biophysical Drivers and Biogeochemical Implications, Aeolian Research.org/10.1016/j.aeolia.2012.06.001. [Elsevier, IF:2.9]
- Ravi, S., P. D’Odorico, A. S. Goudie, A. D. Thomas, G. S. Okin, J. Li, D.D. Breshears, J. P. Field, T. E. Huxman, S. Van Pelt, J. J. Whicker, R. J. Swap and T. M. Zobeck (2011), Aeolian processes and the biosphere. Reviews of Geophysics, doi: 10.1029/2010RG000328. [Featured in the cover (cover image) & most popular paper of the year (2011) in Reviews of Geophysics]. [Wiley, IF: 13.35]
- Ravi, S., D. D. Breshears, T. E. Huxman and P. D’Odorico (2010), Land degradation in drylands: Interactions among hydrologic – aeolian processes and vegetation dynamics. Geomorphology, 116: 236-245. [Top 25 hottest articles in 2010 in Geomorphology] [Elsevier, IF: 3.85]
- Field J. P., J. Belnap, D. D. Breshears, J. C. Neff, G. S. Okin, J. J. Whicker, T. H. Painter, S. Ravi, M. C. Reheis and R. R. Reynolds (2010), The ecology of dust. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment, 8: 423-430. [Featured in the cover /cover image] [Ecological Society of America, IF: 8.50]
- Ravi, S. T. E. Huxman, S. L. Collins and P. D’Odorico (2010), Interactions between aeolian processes and fires: Implications for rangeland management. Rangeland Ecology and Management, (Invited synthesis), 63:267-274. [Featured in the cover/cover image] [Elsevier, IF: 2.06]
- Ravi, S., P. D’Odorico, L. Wang, C. White, G.S. Okin and S. L. Collins (2009), Post-fire resource redistribution in desert grasslands: A possible negative feedback on land degradation. Ecosystems, 12(3): 434 – 444. [Featured in the cover/cover image] [Springer, IF: 4.2]
- Ravi, S., P. D’Odorico, S. L. Collins and T. E. Huxman (2009), Can biological invasions induce desertification? New Phytologist, 181(3): 508 – 511. [Recommended by Faculty of 1000 in Biology] [Wiley, IF: 7.43]
- Ravi, S. and P. D’Odorico (2009), Post-fire resource redistribution and fertility island dynamics: A Modeling approach. Landscape Ecology, 24(3): 325 – 335. [Springer, IF: 3.83]
- Ravi, S. and T. E. Huxman (2009), Land degradation in the Thar Desert. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment, 7(10): 517-518. [Ecological Society of America, IF: 8.50]
- Ravi, S., P. D’Odorico, T.M. Zobeck and T.M. Over (2009), The effect of fire-induced soil hydrophobicity on wind erosion in a semi-arid grassland: Experimental observations and theoretical framework. Geomorphology, 105 (1): 80 – 86. [Elsevier, IF: 3.28]
- Ravi, S., P. D’Odorico, L. Wang and S. L. Collins (2008), Form and function of grass ring patterns in arid grasslands: the role of abiotic controls. Oecologia, 158: 545 – 555. [Springer, IF: 3.13]
- Hui, J.W.C., B. I. Cook, S. Ravi, P. D’Odorico and J.D. Fuentes (2008), Dust-rainfall feedbacks in West African Sahel. Water Resources Research, 44: W05202. [American Geophysical Union & Wiley, IF: 4.4]
- Ravi, S., P. D’Odorico, T. M. Zobeck, T. M. Over, and S. L. Collins (2007), Feedbacks between fires and wind erosion in heterogeneous arid lands. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 112: G04007. [American Geophysical Union & Wiley, IF: 3.79]
- Ravi, S., P. D’Odorico and G.S. Okin (2007), Hydrologic and aeolian controls on vegetation patterns in arid landscapes. Geophysical Research Letters, 34: L24S23. [American Geophysical Union & Wiley, IF: 4.21]
- Ravi, S., P. D’Odorico, B. Herbert, T.M. Zobeck and T.M. Over (2006), Enhancement of wind erosion by fire-induced water repellency. Water Resources Research, 42: W11422. [AGU Editor’s Choice: Surface Processes] [American Geophysical Union & Wiley, IF: 4.4]
- Ravi, S., T.M. Zobeck, T.M. Over, G. S. Okin and P. D’Odorico (2006), On the effect of wet bonding forces on the threshold friction velocity for wind erosion. Sedimentology, 53(3): 597- 609. [Wiley, IF: 3.06]
- Ravi, S., and P. D’Odorico (2005) A field-analysis of the dependence of wind erosion threshold velocity on air humidity. Geophysical Research Letters, 32: L21404. [American Geophysical Union & Wiley, IF: 4.25]
- Ravi, S., P. D’Odorico, T.M. Over and T.M. Zobeck (2004), On the effect of air humidity on soil susceptibility to wind erosion: The case of air-dry soils. Geophysical Research Letters, 31: L09501. [AGU Editor’s Choice: Surface Processes] [American Geophysical Union & Wiley, IF: 4.25]
- D’Odorico, P and S. Ravi (2015), Land Degradation and Environmental Change, in Biological and Environmental Hazards, Risks, and Disasters, 1st Edition, ISBN: 9780123948472, Elsevier.
- Turnbull, L., S. Ravi, and J. Wainwright (2013), Vegetation Change in the Southwestern USA: Patterns and Processes, in Patterns of land degradation in drylands: understanding self organized geomorphic systems, Springer, DOI 10.1007/978-94-007-5727-1.
- Washington-Allen, R. and S. Ravi (2011), Dryland Analysis & Monitoring in Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems, UNESCO-EOLSS Publishers, Oxford, UK.
- Ravi, S., Highlights, Rangeland Ecology & Management, Rangelands, 32(3), 44-46
- Ravi, S., (2008), Feedbacks between Fires and Soil Erosion Processes at the Desert Margins, PhD Dissertation, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, USA. [Dissertation committee: Paolo D’Odorico, Hank Shugart, Greg Okin, Bob Swap and James Smith]
- Ravi, S., (2005), The Effect of Air Humidity on Soil Susceptibility to Wind Erosion, MS thesis, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, USA.
- National Research Council (NRC) Report (2008): A Frontier in Earth Surface Processes: Dynamic Interactions of Life and its Landscapes (contributing author from Meeting of Young Researchers in Earth Sciences MYRES 2008).
- Reinhardt L et al. (78 contributing authors) (2010), State of Science, Dynamics interactions of life and its landscapes: feedbacks at the interface of geomorphology and ecology. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 35:78-101.