Reading Response #5 – the future of journalism

You read the Future of Blogging chapter by Jill Walker Rettberg. She discusses the video EPIC 2014.  There’s also an updated version EPIC 2015.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQDBhg60UNI View both.  Obviously not everything predicted in 2004/2005 when the videos were produced have or will come to pass by 2014/2015 the way they were forecast but some of the concepts have.  Rettberg says used well, the customization services described in both videos might be more powerful – and I’d argue appealing – than traditional newspapers and TV.  Reflect on the readings to date, this future EPIC world as portrayed in the videos, your experiences with social media including your class tweeting and the lectures attended.  What’s the future for media consumers?  For journalists?  Are the futures compatible?What can you do as a journalist-in-training to prepare for your predicted industry future?

Post your comment by Tuesday 10/8 @11:59p.

Published inJournalismTechnologyTrends

3 Comments

1. Kelsey J. Kondraski Kelsey J. Kondraski

I think that the future for media consumers is going to be easy and convenient for average people. I sort of predict that, much like what happened in the EPIC 2014 and 2013, things will become more and more individualized. The video mentioned a magazine that sent subscribers a personalized cover with a satellite picture of their house on it and information that pertained to their interests. This has happened with the internet. Every time I use Facebook for example, there are ads on the side. Depending on what I have been searching on Google, or added on my interests, the ads will pertain to my interests. This makes me as a consumer happy. So I think this is adding to the “I want what I want and I want it now” attitude of our generation. However, I think that journalists will be affected in both negative and positive ways. There will be markets based on certain interests that journalists could focus on. However, if every person needs custom information, general news media will die. In some ways these futures could be compatible, but in others, they will separate people as time drags on. There will also me more cases of “citizen” journalism focusing on individual interests and the need for journalists will lessen. As a journalist-in-training I think that I will try to focus on a smaller media niche. Since nutrition is my passion I have already made moves to focus on this. This way, people who are individually interested in nutrition will have something that caters to them specifically.

2. Carter Wintsch Carter Wintsch

Simply put, I do not like the idea of a completely personalized media layout.

While it may seem appealing to have the information you are receiving be completely tailored to you, I think it is more dangerous than useful. Maybe it would encourage those who don’t typically use news outlets to begin doing so. MAYBE. However, I think the costs far outweigh the benefits. If the events in the video were to actually occur, I believe that the social disconnect that already exists would just be exacerbated. Fewer and fewer individuals will pay attention to what is happening in world news, while networks like Al-Jazeera are trying to turn that around. On an even more simple scale, people would have less to talk about just between each other. While I may be reading news about music or what happened in my hometown, my friends from across the country would be paying attention to completely different topics. We would have nothing in common to discuss. I only say this because I think if these events were to happen, it would completely suck in the users to the point where they become even more disconnected from society than the advent of social media has already done.

As far as being a journalist, I would like to believe that current trends are going to stay at equilibrium for a while. It is important for users to put in time to find the outlets that appeal to them, because if not, they could be having their opinions formed for them without even knowing it. I think that the use of things like keyword searches and hashtags is enough right now; it is so easy for someone to go out and FIND what they want. As a journalist in training, I think it is important to encourage others to continue searching for outlets that appeal to them. I think that most people would agree that the current system is far more suitable than a constant eye on us deciding what we will and will not like.

3. Lucas Rodgers Lucas Rodgers

The ‘EPIC’ videos predict a somewhat chilling view of the future of journalism. Many of the predictions in the videos are surprisingly accurate. However, they failed to predict certain revolutionary tools for social media and citizen journalism, such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. The prediction of the WifiPod has been fulfilled in the form of the modern iPod, iPhone or smartphones in general. Media organizations have fared better than the videos expected. Newspapers and television news do seem to be on the decline still, but many news organizations have adapted and utilized social media news stories to survive. Despite this, the idea of customized news for each individual media consumer could be a very real possibility. Some aspects of ‘EPIC’ have already been implemented. Amazon can interpret shopping patterns and suggest items to buy; all types of advertisements on social media and other websites are custom-tailored to each user. I generally try to browse the web anonymously and clear my history, cookies, cache, etc. frequently, but Google still has enough information on me to make relevant suggestions for YouTube videos and advertisements. I think journalists and news organizations will find a way to survive in the future. Citizen journalists will become more numerous and significant to the media world, as time goes on. Even if ‘EPIC’ becomes a reality, there will still be a need for professional journalists so the robots can glean information from their news stories. Until robots can write their own stories, journalists and writers in general will always have a place in the world. I think it’s becoming more and more important for journalists to become well versed in computer science. As a journalist, I believe it would benefit me to learn more about coding/programming and hacking. News will continue to migrate online, and there may come a time when journalists will need to manipulate the system to get the truth out there. The idea of ‘EPIC’ is troubling because, as mentioned in the video, the truth will be lost to the majority of its users in a sea of trivialities and sensationalism. Custom news could benefit some, but it ultimately seems like it would do more harm than good. On a side note, this video reminded me of a trailer released in 2012 for an upcoming video game titled ‘Watch Dogs.’ The game envisions a world where everything is connected, and humans are valued as data commodities rather than individuals.