The DBL blog team wishes to thank everyone who has visited the blog, and we appreciate the supportive and positive comments received so far. It sounds like we’ve set some high expectations and we’ll do our best to meet them. And thanks to all you bloggers who posted about DBL to help spread the word to the library community. Just this week over 150 folks have subscribed to our feed on Bloglines.
While we hoped our first week would be a smooth one it appears we are suffering from at least one significant technical glitch. We have discovered that our feed isn’t working in most of the major news aggregators like Bloglines. The subscription will work, but new posts are not being picked up. So for that time being you will not see new items for DBL in your aggregator. We are working to correct this and hope to have it working correctly soon. In the meantime, please try to stop by for our latest posts.
2 thoughts on “DBL’s Feed Experiencing A Glitch”
Bloglines has been having issues refreshing their newsfeeds for at least the last several months. After multiple emails to them asking them to refresh the feeds I manage (and asking them if I can change anything about my feeds to make them more Bloglines-friendly), they finally sent me a response admitting that they are having technical difficulties. I’ve found Newsgator to be much more reliable (and more user-friendly too).
One problem that I see though, is that your “Entries RSS” and “Comments RSS” links do not link to a specific file name. The aggregators probably want to know the exact filename they should look for, so that could be a problem.
We’ve been working with Bloglines as well in an attempt to get the DBL feed refreshed. It appears to have worked but only time will tell if it “sticks.” One step we are recommending to our Bloglines subscribers is that they subscribe to the Feedburner-mediated feed we have since it has been updating regularly in Bloglines.
Thanks for suggesting that our feed links may need to be changed. The links for our RSS feeds are resolved onto actual filenames by the web server that hosts DBL, so I don’t think that should cause any problems. Good eye, and good suggestion, though.