Kristin Gjesdal is Professor of Philosophy at Temple University. She received her PhD in Philosophy from the University of Oslo. She taught in Norway and England before moving to Philadelphia in 2005. She has lived and studied in Oslo, Berlin, Frankfurt, New York, and Chicago. She has freelanced as a literary critic in the National Broadcasting (radio) and been a regular contributor to a number of newspapers in Norway. In 2014, she was awarded The Eleanor Hofkin Award for Excellence in Teaching from The College of Liberal Arts at Temple, Alumni Board. She has held a Professorial Fellowship in philosophy at the University of Oslo (2014-2018). Kristin Gjesdal is an area editor of Nineteenth-Century Philosophy for the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. She is on the editorial board of The European Journal of Philosophy, The Journal of Transcendental Philosophy, Kritik & Klasse (Denmark), and the book series Cultura della Modernità (Italy). She is a member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
Kristin Gjesdal is the author of three monographs, seven edited and co-edited volumes, and more than 40 journal articles and book chapters on German Idealism, Nineteenth-Century thought, hermeneutics, phenomenology, and philosophy of literature. She also works on philosophy of theater and publishes routinely on Shakespeare and Ibsen. Recently, she has turned to a project on women philosophers in the Nineteenth Century and a book-length study of the hermeneutic tradition from Herder to Dilthey.
Kristin Gjesdal has been invited to present her work on post-Kantian philosophy, art, and literature in Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Italy, England, Egypt, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Australia, Austria, Ireland, Canada, and other places. She has held a Fulbright Fellowship, a Humboldt Fellowship, and been a Visiting Scholar at The University of Chicago, Columbia, and the Humboldt-Universität, Berlin.
Her monographs include:
- Gadamer and the Legacy of German Idealism (CUP 2009)
- Herder’s Hermeneutics: History, Poetry, Enlightenment (CUP 2017)
- Staging the Nineteenth Century: Ibsen, Hegel, Nietzsche (forthcoming with OUP 2019)
Her edited and co-edited volumes include:
- Key Debates in Nineteenth-Century European Philosophy (Routledge 2016)
- Ibsen’s Hedda Gabler: Philosophical Perspectives (OUP 2017)
- The Oxford Handbook of German Philosophy in the Nineteenth Century (with M. Forster)
- The Cambridge Companion to Hermeneutics (CUP 2019 | with M. Forster)
- Women Philosophers in the Long Nineteenth Century: The German Tradition (OUP 2019 | with D. Nassar)
- Sculpture: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives (Routledge | with F. Rush and I. Torsen)
- The Oxford Handbook of Nineteenth-Century Women Philosophers in the German Tradition (forthcoming OUP | with D. Nassar)