ACADEMIC ASSEMBLY OF LIBRARIANS
TUESDAY, May 8, 2012
PALEY LIBRARY, LECTURE HALL
Attending: Jenifer Baldwin, Aslaku Berhanu, Brian Boling, Carla Davis Cunningham, Mark Darby, Kristina DeVoe, David Dillard, Andrea Goldstein, Thomas Heverin, Molly Larkin, Carol Lang, Jonathan LeBreton, Krystal Lewis (recorder), Jill Luedke, Greg McKinney, David Murray (Chair), Penelope Myers, Fred Rowland, Adam Shambaugh, Margery Sly, Sandi Thompson, Tom Whitehead.
Meeting called to order at 2:03.
- Note on GA minutes from 9/13/11, 11/15/11, 1/10/12, and 3/13/12 (DM)
Minutes are still under review and will be sent to the AAL listserv when ready for approval.
- Remarks by the Interim Dean of Libraries (CL)
Dean Lang told the General Assembly that Kenneth E. Lawrence, Jr., Sr. VP Government, Community & Public Affairs, announced that this afternoon Pennsylvania’s Senate Appropriations Committee passed SB1469 as part of the Commonwealth’s FY13 budget.. If enacted, SB1469 will restore Temple’s state funding to last year’s level rather than further cutting Temple’s funding by 30 percent as proposed by the Governor.
Dean Lang gave updates on hiring and the new library building:
- Emerging Technologies Librarian – Interviews are complete. Thanks to Adam Shambaugh for chairing the search committee.
- Digital Projects Librarian – Delphine Khanna is chairing the search committee. The position has been posted.
- Coordinator for SCRC Technical Services – Margery Sly is chairing the search committee. The position has been posted.
- Coordinator for SCRC Public Services – Permission to fill the position has been received and a search will begin when the Coordinator for SCRC Technical Services search is further along.
- Digital Developer – The search has concluded and there will be news to share soon.
- Server Applications Administrator – The search is underway and there will be news to share soon.
- Electronic Resources Librarian – An exception from the Provost is pending.
- Reference Librarian/Subject Specialist for African American Studies and Government Information – An exception has just been received.
- Dean of the Libraries – Dean Lang forwarded the names of the members of the search committee to the library staff yesterday. The search firm has requested documentation from the Library such as a organizational charts, LibQual results, and the strategic plan.
- The Libraries currently have 43 vacant positions out of 148 for at 29% vacancy rate.
- New Building
- Margaret Carney, the University Architect, recently met with the Student Library Advisory Board (SLAB).
- An RFP for the architectural design firm has been posted on the website of the Pennsylvania Commonwealth’s General Services Administration. An information session for interested architects will be held on May 17th. Proposals are due two weeks later.
- Dean Lang will send more information to the LIBSTAFF list.
Dean Lang announced the dates for the next All Staff Meeting (May 30th); the summer field trip to Johns Hopkins University Libraries (July 11th); and the All Staff Luncheon (August 1 or 2.)
Dean Lang asked for questions. P. Myers shared that the Library at University of Pittsburgh is offering early retirement to classified staff.
- Proposed Bylaws changes (KL and DM) pertaining to
- Incorporating HSL and Law librarians into AAL
- PARA, further clarifying who can vote and serve on committees involving bargaining-unit members
A couple of questions were raised:
- Do the Bylaws need to include the terms for senators? (K. DeVoe). Dean Lang said that the terms go into the procedures and will be voted on later.
- Does Steering need to vote the Bylaws out of the committee before they can be voted on in the Assembly? (M. Darby) No.
C. Davis Cunningham noted an inconsistency with the TAUP language in B9 of the Bylaws and asked that Merit committee documentation be reviewed.
D. Murray stated that he believes adding HSL and Law librarians to the AAL is a positive step.
A vote will take place at the AAL meeting in September.
- Reports of the standing committee chairs
Standing committee chairs gave brief reports which will be added to the minutes. Although not a standing committee, D. Murray also gave a report on the activities of the Steering Committee.
- Election results for 2012-2013 (FR)
F. Rowland announced the results of the election:
Vice-Chair/Chair Elect – Krystal Lewis
Member-At-Large – Carla D. Cunningham
Recording Secretary – Brian Boling
Continuing Education Committee
Two Year Term: Adam Shambaugh
One Year Term: Penelope Myers
Nominations & Elections Committee – Carla D. Cunningham
Selection and Appointments Committee
PARA – Promotion and Regular Appointment Committee
- Old Business
P. Myers encouraged the AAL to consider submitting names for the staff recognition award.
- New Business / Announcements
Meeting adjourned at 3:00.