The Chron on Refworks

The latest issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education (Volume 52 Issue 40 Page A29) has an article titled “Toss Out the Index Cards” (free online) on bibliographic management software such as EndNote and RefWorks. The University has a license for RefWorks that allows free use by students, staff, and faculty. Follow the link and sign up to give the software a try. As an addition to the article I will note that many of the library’s article databases (including all EBSCO and OVID products) have the ability to automatically export citations into RefWorks with a simple click of the mouse (and a quick log-in to your account). If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. —Derik A Badman

2 thoughts on “The Chron on Refworks

1. Derik,
    I was not able to import, transfer, citations I got from EBSCO, dealing with “Caribbean philosophy” or “Caribbean area” stuff like that.
    I know Refworks supports Ebsco. Maybe I can talk to you about this matter.
    Thanks for any help.
    Al Vara

2. As far as using REFWORKS to compose a bibliography for an actual work of scholarship is concerned, one first has to reckon with the work of Temple University’s own librarians.
    There is little consistency to the style of entry of the bibliographic records in the Diamond catalogue. Once imported to REFWORKS, every single item requires just as much attention as a bibliography composed without REFWORKS, because there is little consistency to the entry of bibliographic records in our catalogue.
    Until our catalogue itself can boast of consistency, hang on to the note cards, save your time, and forget about REFWORKS. Regime change begins at home.