Quentin Parker, Program Specialist at Center for Disease Control & Prevention

Temple Alum Quentin Parker graduated from Temple in May 2016 as a Human Resource Management major. In his last semester here, he was fortunate enough to receive a full-time job offer with the CDC after receiving a recommendation from his professor. We asked Quentin a few questions about his job and how he was able to land this great opportunity!

What is/was your job function, and what does a typical day entail?

Job Function: Management Analyst for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, GA.

I am asked to analyze and evaluate management practices, methods, and administrative operations of an organizational unit both programmatic and business. I analyze issues, problems, and or challenges facing management. I interpret findings resulting from studies and draft possible courses of action for resolving them. My proposals include work method or procedural changes, systems variations, and assessments of new technological developments.

How did you find out about this opportunity, and what was the interview process like?

Kathleen Davis, who taught several of my courses, and someone whom I had a very good relationship with responded to an email from an upper management official from the CDC who was looking for students who would be or have graduated from the MS HR program to invite to interview with a position at the CDC. Kathleen gave my name as a possible candidate stating that I was not a Master’s student, but would be a good fit.

The interview process was short. It was a Skype interview that lasted approximately 30 minutes. I was asked if I was interested in the job, I was told about the job and the CDC, and was given some time to ask some questions I had for the panel.

What piece of advice would you give to current students embarking on an internship/job search?
I would tell students to use the faculty to their advantage. Not only are they knowledgeable about classes they teach, but they are also very well connected. Do your best in each class and find ways to stand out from your peers. When you are applying or searching for potential opportunities, make sure you are being selective and not applying to 1000 different jobs. Apply to only the jobs you could see yourself having a career with.  Research the company you are applying for to learn about their culture and core values. If they don’t agree with you, regardless of how good the job sounds, you probably won’t like it. Last, it is okay to think outside the box. Job titles don’t mean anything. Often students focus on titles rather than potential.

Anything other advice for students?

Try to find one solid internship during your time at Temple and work so hard they keep asking you back. Longevity looks better than variety.