Puppy Protocols

By Kristin Aliquo

It was a clear, chilly afternoon at North Philadelphia’s Temple University. I was on my way home from class, about to enter my apartment building. In front of me walked a girl around the age of 20 with a cute puppy. Because my gaze was fixed in adoration on this puppy, I watched as it dove for a cigarette on the ground in front of it. The owner, fast to react, yanked it away right in the nick of time. Adoration turned to horror, I continued to watch as the puppy tried to eat various pieces of garbage and food on the ground before being yanked away by the girl. A horrible scene, to say the least.  

It was not the puppy’s fault that the ground before it was covered in tempting objects. The girl can also not be blamed for protecting her dog. The surrounding environment is what was to blame. It was at this moment that I realized Temple University, North Philadelphia’s large and bustling college, poses a hazard to dogs.  

What’s the Big Idea?

1. Prospective Students 

With a student population numbering around 30,000, Temple is home to a large number of potential dog owners. A considerable number of dogs are exposed to this unideal environment daily. It is understandable that the University may not want to prioritize investments related to animals when there are other costs to be covered. However, prospective students who wish to own pets will be looking into Temple’s accessibility when deciding.  

2. Health benefits 

Experts from the University of Northern Iowa conducted a test on pet owners in which health benefits were examined. They found that pet owners have lower resting heart rates and blood pressure as well as calmer reactions to stressful tasks. 

When interviewed, an anonymous pet owner said, “He is like my mental health dog. No matter what is going on in my day, I just hug him, and I feel better.” If pets are linked to relaxation and low stress, it makes sense that students who own pets will experience a positive impact to their schoolwork. Students who experience this impact will be more likely to graduate with better grades, which bolsters ratings. Promoting and advertising a pet friendly environment encourages the ownership of pets. It is a worthwhile investment. 

So, what puppy protocols can we enact to try to be more pet-friendly?  

Puppy Protocol 1: On-Campus Dog Parks

It may seem silly, but Temple University has little green space open for people, let alone dogs. The green spaces by the bell tower, in front of Morgan, and on top of Mazur Hall are small patches of grass that crowd quickly. In fact, there is little green space in North Philadelphia. Take a walk down Cecil B. Moore and you will quickly see a lack of yards connected to student housing. Search up “open field near Temple University”, and the closest results are four miles away. 

If most students live off campus, and there is little to no green space in this area, the health of our dogs is placed at risk. Texas A&M University found that exercise is necessary to the health and happiness of our pets. The University found that exercise supports their organ, bone, and lung structure. Texas A&M also found that physical activity can prevent nervousness in our furry friends.  

On-campus dog parks would solve this problem by giving dogs a green space to run around in and release energy. American Kennel Club found that dogs use their noses to get information about their surroundings. Without open parks, dogs must be kept on a short leash in North Philadelphia. There is no room for them to sniff or run around, which are both vital to their health.  

Puppy Protocol 2: Environmental Cleanliness

Walking to class, I have caught multiple people throwing their used cigarettes and litter onto the ground. The further off campus you go, the more litter is on the sidewalk. The Temple News, Temple’s student run news outlet, said students must own up to the amount of trash they are leaving on the ground. Things like cigarettes, trash, and especially needles are dangerous to both our pets and our city. To prevent a scenario like the girl who had to yank her dog around, both regular cleaning teams and student attention are needed. So, how can we bring about these solutions? 

1. The University can try to hire people for reasonable pay to deal with excessive waste on and surrounding campus.  
  1. Many of my classmates have demonstrated an eagerness to aid in trash clean up. Student volunteer teams can be recruited. Benefits can be offered to encourage student aid. 
  1. Students living in the area should be encouraged to purchase and make use of trash cans and be informed of the negative consequences of dirty living spaces.  

These three methods are not all we can do. If the school or city adds more public trash cans, there will be more room for trash that does not fit in already overflowing waste baskets. More room for trash means there is less reason for trash to go on the ground.  

Puppy Protocol 3: Doggy Waste Stations

Doggy waste stations are typically found at dog parks. They provide both dog bags and dog waste baskets for pet owners. Students could take a bag from the basket if they run out of their own. These bags could be accessible for a quarter to prevent stealing. Students would also be able to dispose of their bags safely, separate from other trash. 

There are two reasons why these stations are so important.  

1. Space 

Having a doggy basket separate from normal trash would ensure that normal trash cans do not fill up so fast.  

1. Accessibility 

Waste bag stations would allow dog owners to remain on campus with their animals if they ran out of bags.  

An effective strategy to kill two birds with one stone!  

Puppy Protocols at La Salle

La Salle University has spent its recent years creating a dog friendly environment on its campus. The University introduced dog-friendly dorms and tried to ensure that student pets would be able to enjoy an accommodating environment. In fact, La Salle enstated a dog park of its own. La Salle’s decision was based off extensive research done to find that owning a dog is beneficial to the mental health of students. 

The University’s success with this campaign proves that it can be a sustainable business model. Temple University can look to La Salle to understand how they can create a better environment for both students and their pets. 

The Takeaway

Temple University is an excellent place to earn a degree. However, when it comes to our furry friends, there is a significant amount that could be changed to make the University as wonderful of an environment for our pets as it is for us.  

These methods are the role of the students and the University and city together. The scene of that sunny but chilly afternoon filled me, a student, with a feeling of deep sadness. I know I am not the only one. Dog parks, trash cleaning, and doggy waste stations are only the beginning. Not only would pet accommodation make the school a safer place for its animals, but it could also have a positive impact on decreasing enrollment.  

Even if some of the suggestions listed are not doable, I would encourage the University to make any attempt they can. With the constant safety hazards and crime around campus, Temple is hard pressed to find pros that will persuade students to attend the school. Turning efforts into making campus pet accessible would demonstrate a level of care from administration that most of the student body has begun to doubt.