Our Current Moment

I think the major problem or concern that my project engages with today is racism. My project seeks to explain the first real implementations of racist ideologies which was slavery. The project also seeks to discover what economic value slavery had in a state where plantations were not common. This idea relates to other racist implementations such as Jim Crow Laws and red lining and how they could be economically beneficial to white people and damaging to African Americans. My project also relates to the themes of suppression of minorities that is still seen in the United States today. I imagine my audience being people who want to learn about the history of suppression and racism against African Americans. I would hope others who do not truly know the history of racism in the United States will also view my project and realize implications of the racist actions of white people in the past. I would hope that they learn of the atrocities of the past that white people delivered upon African Americans and makes them want to change the history of racism. I hope it makes these people want to push for social justice reforms today. I am honestly not sure how they would relate it to their own lives. If the reader is a minority in the United States, then I think it will be easy for them to relate to the suppression and racism illustrated in my project. However, it will be much harder for white readers to relate to the subject matter of my project. I think this is another reason why racism is still so prevalent today, because white people do not truly understand the effects of racism and suppression since they have never experienced it. Overall though, I hope my project can relate to all audiences and they are able to learn from it and then try to change society today.

Published in Uncategorized

Comments