Thoughts on the Final

1. Topic Ideas

A) Black Music in Philadelphia (specifically Motown, Jazz, and Rock around the 30’s-60’s)

B) The Lenne-Lenape and the interactions they had with Penn/the settlers of Philly

2. Explaination

Music has always been a huge part of my life and I wanted to know more about the stories behind these works of art. I “discovered” Motown music a couple years ago and was hooked. Later, while on a day-trip into the city I started to see signs denoting the importance that Philly played in the 30’s – 70’s music scene. There’s even a mural to Grover Washington Jr. outside of the Broad St. 7-11 on Temple’s campus. North Philly has had a storied history with music and I would love to discover parts of that.

I’ve been told the history of the Lenne-Lenape (Lenape) since childhood. They have played a large role in this area of the US. My personal story, where I was primarily taught about them, was through Boy Scouts/Order of the Arrow. The Order of the Arrow is a sub-branch of the BSA, and has a tradition of focusing on Native American stories.