That Jiggity Jig

The Arlington Hotel in Dublin’s busy Temple Bar district is home to the  popular “Irish Dance Party.” At first hearing these words my mind automatically thought of a techno-rave often associated with stereotypical European night clubs. But to my surprise,  this event hosted every afternoon, is an upbeat cultural experience for tourists and natives alike. Together with a small group of strangers from around the country and the world, I was taught, rather, re-taught the basic choreography of the Jig. With live music produced by a talented  performer, I could not help but get swept up in the energy of the crowd.

As noted in previous entries, I have been a product of the Irish Step Dancing tradition. The basic choreography of the seven’s, the cut backs and the two-threes (difficult to understand I know), are hard to forget for someone who used to practice it twice a week for three years. So as the instructor splits us up into groups, I refrained from revealing my past dance experience because I wanted to see if there is another way I could have learned and experienced Irish step dancing. I soon discovered there’s not. The choreography for the jig is universal. No offense to my previous instructor Miss Erin and her strict Irish Step regiment, but I had more fun that night than I have ever had under her instruction. The costumes, the soft shoe ghillies, and the hair-spray buns with curls would have any eleven year old running for the hills. But the effortlessly upbeat nature of the evening had everyone up from their stools for two hours while engaging us in the fast-paced rhythmic movement of the dance.

Initially, I was hesitant to partake in this event. The website and the hotel’s location screamed tourist attraction, and with payment at the door, I was positive I was falling into a tourist trap. But after getting there and experiencing it for myself, I found that it means so much more to the Irish than simple revenue for their economy. This communal event has been a way to help them preserve their culture, my culture, and before coming to Ireland, that was something that never had crossed my mind. For those who participate in the traditional forms of Irish step dancing it is a wonderful connection to a vibrant history. I am beginning to look at my own Irish history with some new-found perspective. After partaking in the “Irish Dance Party” I realize that this traditional and cultural dance means so much to those who live and breathe for Ireland.

Tara McNulty

photo: irish dance party