A Discovery for the Derby

photo

Me, modeling a favorite hat

If there’s one thing I’ve learned so far during my stay in Dublin, it’s that coincidences are everywhere.  Not too long ago, a peer and I stumbled upon a woman who makes beautiful hats.  We stopped to check out the striking head pieces and started chatting with the artist.  The few hats she had on display are wonderful, and any woman would feel fabulous wearing one of these.  I know this because I tried a few on.  I’ve never worn hats like these and I fell in love with the idea of getting to wear one to an event.

Millinery is the designing and crafting of women’s hats.  It surely can be labeled as a craft because of its use of dexterity and artistic skill. Catherine Cooke is an Irish milliner who hand makes each one of her hats, many of them being one of a kind.  The hats are made for women to wear at various events, such as weddings, horse derbies, and outdoor parties.  She also offers millinery workshops where interested people come to learn. Catherine will teach you how to make your own head pieces, with the hopes of walking away with a unique piece of art.  I think that’s so amazing; I love when artists share their craft and open their skills to an audience in an interactive way.

You may be wondering… what does this have to do with coincidences?  Well, as soon as she mentioned that her hats are perfect to wear to horse derbies, that’s all I could think about.  I’ve always watched the famous Kentucky Derby on TV and admired the beautiful hats the women in the stands wear.  This made me yearn to attend a derby one day, wearing a hat like this.  Anyway, back to coincidences, soon after meeting the hat maker, my mom told me that when she comes to Ireland to meet me after my coursework is over, we’ll be attending the Irish Derby!

Horse races are said to be very popular over here in Ireland, and the Irish Derby is the biggest one.  I’m so excited.  As soon as my mom told me we have tickets, I thought of the hats.  I have to buy them for us. We cannot attend a derby without the most important part of derby-attire, the hat!

What I love so much about the craft of millinery and hat making is that it is entirely possible to make hats that are unique in many ways, whether it be to a specific personality, event, or even outfit.  There are so many different characteristics that can be put into these hats that make it possible for uniqueness.

As I’m writing this, I’m becoming more and more excited for the Derby, although I think I’m more excited to wear a crafted head piece.  I know this event will not only be special for the beautiful hats, but for the bonding I will share with my mother over a bunch of horses and a beautiful accessory.

photo (3)

Catherine Cook and her hats