Silence At The Disco

Out on a night with my Study Abroad friends, we found ourselves in a familiar place called Whelan’s.  In our short time in Dublin we’ve quickly become regulars to the pub/venue.   As usual, we were greeted by the same bouncer at the door.  In being there 4 times in a matter of 2 weeks, we recognized him but because of the onslaught of people coming through we were treated like newcomers. He began to ask us our ages in his familiar tone and then continued to inform us about a free “Silent Disco” that would begin at 11pm. I’m sure our blank stares were quite obvious. He then politely asked “Do yas know about a Silent Disco?”

After his brief explanation we walked through the dark doors and ordered specials off the chalk board above the bar. In our time at Whelan’s my friends and I have explored all three venues within the pub. On this night we weren’t allowed passed closed off areas because of paid concerts. We were bummed out that we couldn’t get in anywhere besides the bars within the venue but remained hopeful that this mysterious “Silent Disco” would be the craic.

At 11 pm the door to one of the venues opened and concert goers poured out into the bar. Those previously in the bar moved into the venue, which soon turned into the dance floor. Upon entering the room there was no audible music but Two DJs were spinning on stage.

We soon found that the rules were simply to wear a set of cordless headphones, dance, and shout. Once we put on the headphones we realized that there was an option between an Indie and Top 40 playlist.  Apparently Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” gets the crowd going when the music is heard by all and even when it isn’t. When I removed my headphones I could hear people singing the dance ballad at the top of their lungs and dancing the night away.

The act of dancing to music through headphones might seem a little silly at first but when you’re surrounded by an enthusiastic group of people, it all somehow comes together effortlessly. Even though the room was filled by strangers and friends, at times it was quite personal. The experience made me feel like I was away in my room with music that only I could hear, dancing carelessly.

Whelan’s did more than simply provide a good time on this night.  The “Silent Disco” allowed us to tune out our worries, hear the music, feel the rhythm, and dance.

Where I’m from in the United States, “Silent Discos” aren’t as popular. It’s quite common to hear music pumping from bars with a crowd just standing around. The idea of giving the people an option of choosing the music and the freedom to move however they please is certainly an idea worth adopting.

Faith Scheerbaum

whelans media