A Kettle and Two Reminders

The sun is shining early this afternoon as I stroll through the beautiful streets of Dublin, taking in the new culture that surrounds me.  Along the journey, gazing admirably at the city life, I stumble upon the pillared, powerful looking building across from the famous Trinity College: The Bank of Ireland.  It was unlike any bank I’d ever seen.  Yes, it was the pillars and the beautiful architecture that first caught my attention, but as I looked deeper, I’m drawn by the art fair occurring on its front porch.  Artists from all over Dublin packed a few of their pieces from their studios to join the fair in hopes of getting their name and work out for people to see and purchase.

As I approach the last artist’s station, my attention is grabbed by Colm De Ris and his beautiful pottery.  Everything was amazing from vases to large bowls.  These 100% handcrafted pieces surely made me fall in love.  Colm is an Irish potter who discovered his love and talent for the art.  Over the past few years his art has become popular throughout Ireland and even some other parts of Europe.  I think it was the beautiful colors that caught my attention.  His pieces are usually painted in greens, blues, and reds and have a traditional Irish appeal to them.

I see a teakettle among the beautiful pieces and I think of my kettle-collecting grandmother back home.  I couldn’t resist purchasing it for her.  For a reasonable price, I got her the newest addition to her collection.  I was even tempted to buy a piece for myself!

As soon as I took myself away from Colm’s beautiful pottery, I begin to look at the event as a whole.  Being at the art fair blinded me of the fact that I was at a national bank.  This isn’t something I’d typically find back home in the states, an art fair at a bank.  When speaking with Colm, he told me that every so often the bank allows small business, usually for art and food, to come display their work.  I not only see that I’m at an art fair at a bank, but I’m able to look beyond that.  I went on to think about Dublin’s open and publically displayed love for the arts and small, striving businesses.  America has an obsession with big corporate businesses and it is beautifully refreshing for me to experience this love for the arts that Dublin displays.

I am sitting in my room right now, staring at the teakettle.  I’m reflecting on what this will mean to me in the future. Right now, I’m being reminded of my grandmother while I am miles away from her. And then I think, when I’m back home in America in a few weeks, when I look at it, what will I think of?  I know that every time I look at it I will think of my summer in Dublin.