A Major Step Down

Some childhood memories should remain suppressed. I knew coming to Ireland I ran the risk of flashbacks and the haunting Irish step dancing rehearsals and classes of my past. But here I am, two weeks in and just about fully adjusted to the culture, the people, and the music (but I honestly was always prepared for that aspect). Now my mind can no longer repress the practiced skills of Irish step dancing. These basic steps once forgotten, have flooded over me within a mere couple of days. Now I have often find myself dancing in the courtyard of our apartment complex, my classroom on Rathmines Street and in pubs beside natives of Dublin city. It’s the first time I’ve enjoyed the exhausting choreography of step dancing. So when my art beat partner, Shannon, suggested that we check out the Irish Step Dancing Museum here I was on board. Bubbling with anticipation at the idea of witnessing a great part of Irish history and culture, we made our way to the populated Grafton Street area.

One of the most beautiful days in Dublin thus far, Shannon and I made a day of exploring the city. From one end of the city to the other we arrived at the beautiful, old Powerscourt building, home of the Dance Museum. Visible half a block away, I was amazed at the size of the building, and could not wait to see what was in store for us. Yet, walking into this lovely building I was surprised to be greeted with the smell of homemade soaps and lotions as the Powerscourt is apparently home to many posh boutiques and cafes. Distracted by the unexpected beauty of it all, we were on a mission, to find the museum. After climbing several flights of steps, asking three different people for directions, and eyeing up some delicious treats, Shannon and I made it to the museum at last. And lets just say the thirteen year old and twenty-three year old versions of myself were incredibly disappointed. All we got was a single room in the back of the building. Although beautifully crafted costumes, old fashion footwear, photographs and historical events in Irish step dancing were present, these amazing artifacts looked forgotten in the space. Dublin’s acclaimed “only traditional Irish Step Dancing Museum” was a major let down for this Irish American dancer.

Although some aspects of the history and culture were on display, the room was just entirely too small to be able to do justice to the beauty of Irish step dancing. My childhood visions of coming to Ireland to see traditional step dancing in all its splendor, was destroyed by the reality of this museum. The Irish Step Dancing Museum failed to honor this beloved tradition and personally, I am disappointed in the Irish people to allow this atrocious insult to their culture and their country remain under-funded and under-appreciated. The poor Irish Step Dancing Museum was left to hide in the corner of the Powerscourt due to years of abuse and neglect.

-Tara McNulty

photo link  Irish Step Dance Museum