Dublin Pub Serves White Chocolate

In the United States, it’d be beyond my nature to accept a night’s outing on a Tuesday but this week I found myself for the first time outside my limits and in the city of Dublin. The simple motivation and anticipation of sitting inside a pub with brilliant live music drove me to put on my coat and dancing shoes. I’ve heard live Irish music at festivals, Irish-American Weekends, and of course around Saint Patrick ’s Day but I still didn’t feel confident in assuming that I’d find something similar in Dublin. On Tuesday night I didn’t just hear Irish Music, I experienced live Irish Artists singing and playing the tunes of not only Ireland but also songs of the United States.

It was late and our group of study abroad students had already spent some time at another pub.  Because it was “half eleven” our next destination was cut short.  With a friendly suggestion we found ourselves standing outside the dark doors of “The Mezz” or self-proclaimed “Tabernacle of Tunage.”  This place was different than others in the area simply because of the burly bouncer waiting on the stairs to reference IDs.  I found this to be quite refreshing and the act of carding evoked feelings of nostalgia.

Upon entering, I noticed The Mezz was quite grungy in décor and style, with a dive-bar atmosphere.  There was what looked like magazine/newspaper clippings of famous artists pasted to the walls, along with faded vintage concert posters.  The artists were easily recognizable rock bands of the UK and US.  I soon strolled over to the bar and was delighted by the inexpensive beer options beyond popular brands. The place seemed to be going for an underground feel while still being set in such a busy zone. Because The Temple Bar area is often overrun with tourists and high prices, I was happy to experience this other side.

After grabbing a drink I headed to the stage where the sweet, sultry sounds of “Riders on the Storm” were heard.  Although The Doors are an American Classic Rock band, Tuesday’s group “White Chocolate” put an Irish twist on their music.  They continued to bring this Irish Rock influence to other American rock songs including Nirvana’s grunge hit “Where Did You Sleep Last Night” and the recent “Sex on Fire” by Kings of Leon. Although we were standing in “Temple Bar’s Capital of Live Music” and Irish “White Chocolate” was playing what would often be considered “American music” I was more than pleased with their cultural reinterpretation.

Through my visit on Tuesday, I’ve begun to realize an underlying musical connection. Although artists recreate songs in different ways, there are certain songs and genres that remain timeless throughout the world.  Specifically amongst the young, in both the US and Ireland, there is a pull toward the underground and with that an obvious rebellion against the mainstream. The Mezz is an example of a pub venue that caters to this kind visitor with absolute success.

Faith Scheerbaum

the mezz-001