Victorian Fetishism

[ensemblevideo contentid=wGDiuU6j90iuCnHYqhx92w audio=true showcaptions=true displayAnnotations=true displayattachments=true audioPreviewImage=true]

PetePeter Loganr Logan is a professor of English and the director of the Center for the Humanities at Temple University.  He is the author of Nerves and Narratives: A Cultural History of Hysteria in Nineteenth-Century British Prose (1997) and, more recently, Victorian Fetishism: Intellectuals and Primitives (2009).  On May 15, 2012, he stopped by my office to discuss Victorian Fetishism, which details the development of ideas about the primitive and how these concepts set the boundaries of culture in Victorian Britain.  Drawing from Lucretius, Vico, and Auguste Comte, Peter Logan explains how fetishism – the defining feature of culture’s absence – figured in the works of literary and cultural critic Matthew Arnold, realist novelist George Eliot, and anthropologist Edward Tylor.

Audio Download Link

—Fred Rowland

One thought on “Victorian Fetishism

1. We stumbled over here different website and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to
    checking out your web page for a second time.