Over the past 10 months, the Office of the University Registrar and the Banner Student Competency Center have been working collaboratively with Parchment, the industry leader in credential management system, to bring digital transcripts (eTranscript) to Temple University. Starting today, students and alumni will have the option of requesting a secure digital transcript as well as a traditional paper transcript. In the initial roll-out, digital transcripts will be available to Temple University undergraduate and graduate students, as well as students from Beasley School of Law, School of Pharmacy and Kornberg School of Dentistry, who attended after 1989 and do not have transcript holds. In the coming months, we will be adding the digital transcript option for students in both the School of Medicine and the School of Podiatric Medicine.
On average, we process over 48,000 transcript orders per year, with each order taking from 1-15 days to complete, depending on the complexity of the request and the volume for the given day. Implementing the digital transcript option brings two significant benefits to students:
- Near real-time processing and delivery.
- Enhanced communication to the student, including when the recipient received and opened the digital transcript.
Academic credentials are a commodity in the marketplace, and the authenticity of the credentials must be protected. Since fall 2014, we began embedding unique serial numbers on all official paper transcripts to certify authenticity and prevent fraud. Likewise, all Temple digital transcripts will conform to industry standards on secure electronic documents and feature additional security measures:
- A distinct look that differs from the traditional paper transcript.
- A unique serial number visibly displayed on the document.
- Passcode-protection with an embedded Blue Ribbon certified electronic signature.
- Only the intended recipient can open the digital transcript and view the electronic signature.
- When the recipient saves the digital transcript to his/her computer, the embedded electronic signature disappears. This feature is in accordance with industry standards on digital document security.
- For practical purposes, however, the recipient may save the digital transcript as a PDF file or print the PDF document for authorized use.
- The recipient will have 30 days from the delivery date to retrieve the digital transcript. Once retrieved, the recipient may download the digital transcript 3 times.
More to come
Digital transcript is just one of many innovations that will provide Temple students with competitive advantages in the marketplace. In the coming year, we will be exploring an enhanced degree verification system, certified electronic diplomas, and a digital credentials library for every Temple student. As we move ahead on these initiatives, we will post updates here on Transcription.