Deadline: March 25th, 2019
The Digital Scholarship Center (renamed the Scholars Studio next year) has joined with several schools and colleges to provide full support for the academic year to two students in 2019-20 as Graduate Externs. Applicants propose a digital research or creative project as part of the dissertation or thesis. Decisions are based on the quality of the proposal, its suitability for the work in the DSC, and staffing needs.
Externs work twenty hours per week in the Center. Half of their time is dedicated to their own research or creative project. They assist the DSC as needed for the rest of the time. Awards include a graduate stipend, benefits, and one tuition credit.
Applicants must be a PhD or MFA student in good standing from the following Temple departments, the College of Liberal Arts, Klein College of Media and Communication, Tyler School of Art, and Fox School of Business. Additional information about the DSC and its resources is available at sites.temple.edu/tudsc/. If you have questions about whether your project is eligible, feel free to visit or contact the DSC for a consultation.
Please send a three-page statement (1000 words) describing your digital research or creative project and explain how you think it will further your dissertation or thesis work. This can be provisional, but you should touch on each of the following elements:
- How will the project advance your dissertation or thesis?
- How can the Scholars Studio help you with your work?
- What digital material do you want to work with? where will it come from? You do not need to have it in hand, but you do need to know what kind of data you need (a Twitter feed? Images? Maps? Texts?). You should do some preliminary research to make sure the material is accessible.
- What digital tools do you imagine using? Explain if you need an exhibition platform, mapping capability, textual analysis software, programming, maker space, and so forth. Think in terms of function rather than specific programs.
- Identify any online projects similar to what you want to do.
- Describe your relevant skills and background.
- Include a C.V. with your application.
Applications must be delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 25th, 2019