Blog Post #11

I’ve learned a great deal about Lenape culture so far. I went in to this research project with limited knowledge on the Lenape and know I feel that while I’m far from an expert, I carry enough knowledge where I could share what I’ve learned with others and hopefully accurately depict Lenape culture. My project topic luckily has stayed relatively the same since the beginning with the exception of broadening the topic to include Lenape spiritualism rather than just Lenape myths and legends. This process has taught me that there is more than one way to perceive of gender. Growing up in the United States and more widely in a Western-dominated world, I was socialized to believe that there are certain qualities and roles associated with men and others with women. I was led to believe that this what society has been like since the beginning of humanity. I know realize that this is a product of Western culture. I always knew that gender is just a construct, but I think learning more about another culture that does not share the same views on gender as ours really hammers home how gender is a fabrication and not a fact of life.

I learned that I run out of steam much quicker with online school. It’s much harder to stay motivated which I think is a byproduct of the days blending together and the absence of routine. I most miss socializing. Although I consider myself to be introverted, I miss making friends in classes, walking with classmates, and just seeing people walking around on campus. However, one positive that online school and the pandemic has taught me in general is adaptability. Being forced to assimilate to a completely different format challenged me to recenter my approach to school life and social life. I think learning to adapt to anything thrown my way will be an invaluable asset in life as we never know what the future will hold.