The Viscous theme has a feature which will allow your home page to have a slideshow. This feature can be turned on and off under the Appearance Add-ons. Featured images from the pages/posts you choose will be used to populate the slideshow. When a user clicks on one of the pictures on the slideshow they will be taken to an abbreviated version of the page which contains that image, and will be given an option to continue reading the full page/post.
If you are not using the Viscous theme, another way to do a slideshow on the home page is to use a photo gallery plugin.
Using Your Homepage Slideshow
Turning the slideshow on/off
You can turn on/off your home page slideshow at any time.
- Click on the Appearance section of your dashboard.
- Click on Theme Options.
- Click Add-ons.
- Check/uncheck the box beside Homepage Slideshow.
- Click Save Options.
Add pages/posts to the slideshow
You can feature your new blog posts on your homepage slideshow so that site visitors will become instantly interested in reading them. You can also use your slideshow to visually showcase your creative work.
To make pages or blog posts appear on your slideshow:
- Click either the page/post section on your dashboard.
- Click Edit on the under the name of the page/post you want to appear on the slideshow.
- When editing the page/post, check the box beside “Add this page to the homepage slideshow,” which will appear under “Homepage Slideshow” on the right hand side (typically above the publish panel).
- In order to make sure an image appears on the slideshow, click Set featured image under “Featured Image” (you may need to scroll down to see the Featured Image panel.)
You will be presented with the Upload/Insert media dialog.
- If the image you want to use as the image on the slideshow is already on the page, click Gallery, if you want to upload a new image, go through the standard Upload process.
- Click Show next to the image you want to use as the featured image, (the label will change to Hide).
- Click Use as featured image.
- Click the close box.
This image will not appear in the body of your post or page, but it will appear on the homepage slideshow.
When you have finished making changes, click Update in the publish panel.