Meet the Board: Professional Development Chairs

Hello everyone and HAPPY FRIDAY! We hope you had an excellent week back! Early this morning, the M1s and M2s made their way down to main campus for the College of Public Health’s 2016 Leadership Symposium, which focused on the various generations in the workplace (psst.. blog post coming soon!). The day was facilitated by a group of panelists who each shared valuable pieces of advice that we can all carry into our professional careers. To wrap up this professional & fun-filled day, we’d like to introduce our very own Professional Development Chairs, Jill Brandenburg and Samantha Lumetta! 🙂

Sam & Jill hanging out in the ADL suite!

M1 Professional Development Chair: Jill Brandenburg

1. Tell us a little about yourself!
I grew up and went to school in Columbus, Ohio where I studied exercise science. I decided that it I wanted to go to graduate school away from home and am so happy that I have ended up in Philly. In my free time (which is nonexistent), I like to be outside hiking, kayaking, and running. I love animals, I currently have a cat and a dog.

2. Why did you run for this position?
I ran for the Professional Development position because I was excited by the opportunity to represent my class and their interests. I really enjoy learning and hope to share that with everyone else by facilitating fun and new opportunities to further ourselves as students and future practitioners.

3. What do you hope to gain from this position in terms of professional development?
I hope to further develop my leadership and communication skills.

4. What is the value of working on a team?
Working on a team allows for a ton of sharing and creativity! Teams push us out of our comfort zones and open our eyes to differing views and opinions. Teamwork makes the dream work 😉

5. What does being a leader mean to you?
Being a leader means being open and receptive. It means being objective and making decisions that will benefit the whole group.

6. What areas of OT are you interested in?
Adults, pediatrics.. I really can’t pick.

7. What is your favorite aspect of the OT field?
The diversity of clientele – no two clients can be treated exactly the same.

8. Can you share 1 piece of advice you’d like to give to future students?
It can be difficult at times but don’t lose sight of why you are here! Oh, and I recommend coffee.

M2 Professional Development Chair: Samantha Lumetta

1. Tell us a little about yourself!
Hi! I’m Sam! I’m from Long Island NY, I graduated undergrad from Hofstra and I majored in psychology. I’m learning so much at Temple and exploring Philly!

2. Why did you run for this position?
Professional development is an important part of any job and the position kept me thinking about professional development opportunities. I ran for this position because I thought it would be a great way to contribute to SOTA and learn a lot!

3. Have you learned anything in this position that you feel you will carry into your professional career?
Yes! I have learned about the importance of attending conferences, engaging in professional development opportunities and how to start a journal (reading) club! I will continue to engage in these activities in my career.

Working with a team allows you to exchange ideas and get feedback. SOTA board and general members have been supportive and also have motivated me to participate in their events and create new events!

To me, a leader is a role model. A leader is responsible and addresses issues as they present themselves.

I entered the program interested in pediatrics, which I still am interested in, however, after my fieldwork experiences and other job experiences I am also interested in in-patient rehab setting and home health. I am looking forward to exploring the possibilities in OT!

My favorite aspect of OT is the focus on what really matters to clients and learning more about their lives.

8. Can you share 1 piece of advice you’d like to give to future students?
My advice to future students would be to get organized early and often!

This entry was posted in Professional Development, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.