Meet the Board: SOTA Social Media

Hi everyone! My name is Genna Clayman, a first year MOT student and your brand new M1 Social Media Chair. As Thanksgiving is my favorite time of the year, I thought I would use this week to introduce myself! I have never managed an official blog before, so I am super excited to continue the legacy of our SOTA blog (with a little guidance from M2 chair, Christina 🙂 ) to keep you all informed on the excitement surrounding Temple’s MOT program!

Since you’ll learn a little more about me in this week’s feature of Meet the Board, I thought I’d keep it light and tell you a few fun facts about myself, followed by a Thanksgiving-themed game of two truths and a lie!

screen-shot-2016-11-22-at-5-10-10-pm

~FUN FACTS~

1. My favorite ice cream combo from Cold Stone is coffee with gummy bears.
  2. I was bit while trying to rescue a baby squirrel with a broken arm… This made me realize that I would probably (hopefully) have better success working with humans as an OT.
  3. I graduated from Temple in 2015 with a B.S. in Public Health- Owls for life!
  4. I am a big fan of the Kermit the Frog memes.
  5. My favorite occupations include cooking & baking, singing and playing guitar, and swimming!

And now, a Thanksgiving-themed game of two truths and a lie

Think you know which one isn’t true? Comment below and let me know! 🙂

1. One year I completely forgot to thaw the turkey and we didn’t eat until 9PM…
  2. I put gravy on my pumpkin pie instead of whipped cream
  3. I love my sweet potatoes WITHOUT marshmallows on top

Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself! I hope you are all enjoying this chilly Thanksgiving break. I know M1s are studying hard and M2s are busy preparing for their next big fieldwork adventure, but please remember to take some time to shut off your brains, relax, and enjoy yourselves! You can start by checking out this week’s feature of Meet the Board below!

M1 Social Media Chair: Genna Clayman

1. Tell us a little about yourself!

Hey everyone, I’m Genna! I’m 23 years old and grew up in the ‘burbs. Growing up I had no clue about what I wanted to “be,” so I bounced around from social work to public health and finally discovered my dream job of occupational therapy! As a public health graduate, I have a great respect for community. I’m really excited for all of the opportunities that we have as students and future professionals to give back to North Philadelphia. In my spare time, I enjoy spending time with friends, writing music and cuddling with my dogs (Roger-15 years, Chloe-10 months). I’ve played acoustic guitar for about 9 years and I love getting together with friends to play music!

2. Why did you run for this position?

I ran for social media chair because it’s such an incredible outlet to express yourself and to reach others. Through this position, I hope to make a series of video blogs (#vlogs) that will highlight all of the amazing aspects of Temple’s OT program.

3. Have you learned anything in this position that you feel you will carry into your professional career?

Even though I’m brand new to SOTA, adding this position to my responsibilities has caused me to refine my time management skills over the past few months. Our program is very exciting and challenging, so it’s easy for things to slip by if you let them. By taking on this responsibility, I know that I will need to stay organized and take the initiative to put out new material even when it seems like there are a million other things to do. I really enjoy social media, so this position will also allow me to take a break when things get stressful and focus on something a bit lighter!

4. What is the value of working on a team?

The ultimate value of working on a team is knowing that you are not alone. I’ve seen this value manifest already in just the few short months that my classmates and I have carried each other through group projects, study sessions, and long days in the classroom. The support system that we’ve developed and will continue to build over the next two years is unlike anything I’ve ever been a part of before, and it feels really good. As professionals, we will each go off on our own individual journeys with a valuable set of team skills, and those are such important skills to have when you are caring for a client with multiple needs.

5. What does being a leader mean to you?

I’ve always felt that being a leader is the ability to guide others through something.. whether it be a group project, a team sport, or an uncharted territory. Over the past few years, I’ve realized that “guiding” others involves so much more than just asking a group of people to follow you because you know the way. Great leaders support and listen to the ideas, concerns, questions, and doubts of the people that they are leading. When everyone’s thoughts and feelings are heard, each individual will feel valued and will be more likely to put forth their best efforts.

6. What areas of OT are you interested in?

Right now, at this moment in time…. I am most interested in acute rehabilitation with adults. However, I am more open to pediatrics now than I’ve ever been before. More specifically, children who have been through some form of trauma.

7. What is your favorite aspect of the OT field?

My favorite aspect of occupational therapy is that we give clients hope for recovery.

8. Can you share 1 piece of advice you’d like to give to future students?

I’m going to abuse my social media chair powers and give 3 pieces of advice 😉

1. Be open to new methods! Never group studied before? Try it- it gives you a whole new perspective.
  2. Record your lectures / find someone in class who always does. There’s a LOT of material.. it’s easy to miss something during lecture.
  3. Believe in yourself. Who got into the program? YOU did!

M2 Social Media Chair: Christina Lam

1. Tell us a little about yourself!

Hi, I’m Christina! I’m 25 years old and I was born and raised in South Philly. I went to Central High School (268!) and studied psychology and sociology at the University of Pennsylvania. I love to “collect” new experiences and random skill-sets, which is why my resume includes a bunch of odd jobs. I know how to disassemble mannequins from working as a part-time sales associate at Loft for 2 years. I can also balance a giant pizza on one hand, thanks to a summer of waitressing at an Italian restaurant on the boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ. I really enjoy widening my perspectives and take every opportunity I get to embrace culture and diversity. I would own 20 cats if I wasn’t so allergic to them. Also, I used to get yelled at a lot in college for writing wordy papers so just as a heads up, all of my answers are long…

2. Why did you run for this position?

After the general SOTA meeting last year where board positions were introduced, I had a meeting with Dr. Gargin to review some Kinesiology concepts. At the end, she asked me if I was planning to run for anything and I said secretary or social media chair. I later considered not running for anything at all, but felt weird after I had already declared 2 options to our SOTA faculty advisor. So, I just went for it.

I was drawn to the social media chair position, though, because I love blogging and I generally express myself better in writing. I was also trying to figure out my leadership style at the time and knew that I tend to take on a supportive/facilitative approach. This position felt like the overall best fit for me as I could write about SOTA members/events as well as publicly promote what the other SOTA board members were doing!

While holding this position, I’ve learned the importance of collaboration and taking initiative. My role on the board has been very self-directed. This was challenging at times when I couldn’t gauge if I was being overwhelming or doing too little in terms of covering SOTA happenings. Working through these moments taught me the necessity for/power of clear communication. Everyone on the board was always so nice to me whenever I reached out to them! Also, I learned that when you take on a new role, even if you’re unsure about your responsibilities, give it 100%. As a soft-spoken and more reserved person in real life, being the social media chair sort of clashed with my personality and made me feel aggressive (and then anxious about it). However, I realized that it can be fun to be vocal and to advocate for the things that I’m passionate about. Now I feel less scared and much more equipped to speak up/hold my ground in a team setting, which I feel will help me tremendously in my professional career.

You know when you’re playing a video game and you get those boosters that make you stronger, faster, or protected from crazy things coming at you/dying? I feel like working on a team is like having all of those awesome boosters all of the time. When everyone works as a team, they become a sort of like a collective super human. Working on a team allows for a wide range of perspectives, so many different and complementing skills, and a built-in support system. The end result is a product far superior than something 1 person would come up with alone. Moreover, the process is wonderful as you can all learn new things from each other. It’s also often more efficient and less overwhelming to work together. In terms of healthcare, this provides the best treatment for patients and truly client-centered care.

I used to think that being a leader meant being bossy and loud. Since I am neither of those things, I felt like I didn’t have what it takes to be a leader. However, throughout the course of this program and my time as social media chair, I’ve realized that being a leader means supporting and guiding those you are leading through an experience/task, and making sure that you’re setting them up for success. There are many different leadership styles that can all be very effective. Personally, when I’m asked to be a leader, my goals are to make sure that everyone is contributing by taking on tasks that utilize their strengths and ultimately, making sure that everyone is motivated and working together. It’s also important to establish a realistic timeline for everyone to complete what it is they need to do and helping them stay aware of it.

I’m interested in so many areas of OT which is exciting but also terrifying because I want to do it all! I’ve always wanted to work with older adults and that hasn’t changed. However, I’m now also interested in working with children with Autism and the homeless population. Community-based practice has really been drawing me in, which is a nice surprise!

My favorite aspect of OT is the fact that our job is to “make it work.” When someone has something that they want to do, no matter how simple or complicated, we find ways to make it possible. Whether it’s addressing the person, the activity, or the environment, we take on the task of being creative and persistent in order to allow people to participate in life. We are also motivators and educators for patients and their families. OT’s ability to bring back function and meaning into people’s lives makes me thankful every day that I chose to go into this field!

Always remember what inspired you to get into the field of OT and the things you’ll get to do to help people once you graduate, especially during overwhelming times. Assignments will pile up and there will be times when you feel pulled in a hundred different directions, but hold on to your passion for OT and allow it to center you. You’re entering one of the most unique fields that exist—be proud and excited! And, if you can make some time, continue volunteering in OT settings to help you stay motivated throughout the program. Good luck! 🙂

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.