New Source and Progress Report

For this week’s blog post I chose the article “Let it snow: just lay off the incredibly hyped ‘storm tracker’ coverage and give it to us straight,” by Deborah Potter. In this article Potter discusses the sensationalist tactics in weather reporting and how they shape public perception. She uses the example of the so-called storm of the century on the east coast in 2001 that produced little to no accumulation. While weather predicting radar is more accurate now, any preliminary signs of storms show up, and sometimes those storms don’t materialize. News stations use weather reporting as another competition for ratings as they send out their whole crew out to different parts of the area to report on how people are preparing, how roads are being prepared, and what weather for which they should be prepared. Jumping the gun in reporting breeds public mistrust due to information that ends up being inaccurate.

This article relates to my project because public perception of weather reporting and sensationalist journalism can affect their views on climate science and their behavior as it relates to it. Staging weather reports as just another quest for ratings takes away from the content of information being presented. Stations are preoccupied with being the first to report a possible storm instead of being patient and report the correct information as it becomes clearer via radar the first time. This article while providing a valuable discussion also provided me with a train of thought for questioning interview subjects in the meteorology field.

As far as my project goes, I’m sorting through my found footage and b roll to decide what I’m bringing to class on Wednesdays. I’m also reaching out for interview subjects in what I’m learning is a never-ending process. I’m trying to laser focus on the paper at this point as well for the draft due in the next three weeks, which comes with all the research and rereading my sources involved. I’ve started my literature review which historically for me is the most painful, and therefore most time-consuming part.

Potter, D. (2002). Let it snow: just lay off the incredibly hyped “storm tracker” coverage and give it to us straight. (Broadcast Views). American Journalism Review, 24(9), 68. Retrieved from http://link.galegroup.com.libproxy.temple.edu/apps/doc/A94637836/AONE?u=temple_main&sid=AONE&xid=969e12a5