Applicable study and progress report

My article of focus this week is “Media-Savvy Scientific Literacy: Developing Critical Evaluation Skills by Investigating Scientific Claims.” This article is an overview of a study done among students fulfilling science gen ed requirements involving project-based applied learning to become familiar with being critical with sources.

In the study students were given the freedom to pick their own topic and create a compelling graphic supported by data to prove their point. The results of the project weren’t as important as the process of assembling the graphic and finding support. In this project students took time out of class to present their research findings to the class and take questions. These sessions served as an in-person peer review for the students, making them question the validity of their sources they used in support of their claims. At the end of the project along with their graphics, students felt that the process helped them think about what sources they believed and how to be more critical of what they read. They found that project-based applied learning not only gave them creative freedom than normally granted with gen ed science requirements, but felt they had the tools to be scientifically literate by the end of the class.

This article directly relates to my project because it addresses scientific literacy in the classroom and as it applies to every day life. It also provides a fresh approach to how gen ed science requirements can teach life skills when students normally show up to these classes to just pass and make it through the semester. Learning how to vet sources is a main point in the literacy aspect of my project, and this study addresses the need for that knowledge to spread. Holding the in-person peer review sessions also helped the students learn the importance of peer review and to keep a look out for it when looking for their own sources. This approach was successful in its mission to help students be more critical of their sources and considering that is one of my goals in my project this study has been helpful to me.

As far as my project goes I secured my first interview with Kathy Orr, so I’m hoping that now that I’m over that hump more will follow. I also am going to make a trailer with my found footage and record something into audacity to lay over it to send out to potential subjects. I have my master list of interview questions done, it’s just a matter of getting the people to ask the questions. Other than that, I’m still pretty on course with my topic and direction.

Peggy Brickman, Cara Gormally, Greg Francom, Sarah E. Jardeleza, Virginia G.W. Schutte, Carly Jordan, & Lisa Kanizay. (2012). Media-Savvy Scientific Literacy: Developing Critical Evaluation Skills by Investigating Scientific Claims. The American Biology Teacher, 74(6), 374-379. doi:10.1525/abt.2012.74.6.4