By Daniel Cole

This fascinating book goes into what makes great teams. I found it interesting that I picked up this book shortly after attending the 2019 EntreLeadership summit. It was not intentional. It was serendipitous. (My boss – who didn’t attend the summit – recommended I read it.)

<gushing about EntreLeadership>

It was my first time, and WOW… it was like when you’re in college and think Denny’s is good food, but then a friend takes you out to a 5 star restaurant. Your mind is blown at how much better EVERYTHING is. Sure, the price was significantly higher than all the prior conferences I’ve been to, but it was worth it. Here’s a sampling from the summit (but trust me, podcasts doesn’t do it justice). I highly recommend it if you’re in a leadership role.

At the summit I heard Patrick Lencioni’s talk on The Untapped Advantage of Organizational Health which included topics from his book, The 5 Dysfunctions of a Team. The number one dysfunction was the absence of trust. Why the lack of trust? Because the fear of being vulnerable with team members prevents the building of trust within the team. Trust? Many people define trust poorly. It’s not predictive (“I know what they’re going to do”) it’s vulnerability based trust – when humans on a team are buck naked vulnerable.

Another speaker at the summit was Dr. Henry Cloud (you may be familiar with him from his book Boundaries). His talk on The Desired Future State was also fantastic. One of the salient points was engaging your team members so they share your vision of the future.

</gushing about EntreLeadership>

“So what?” you may ask. Well, these points (trust/vulnerability/imparting vision) are also points from The Culture Code (though they may be presented with slightly different syntax). Through a series of case studies/examples the author, Daniel Cole, details why teams need:

1. To feel like they work in a safe environment so they can (a) let their guard down, and (b) cooperate.
    The preeminent example was of kindergartners out performing adults in building a tower.
  2. Be vulnerable. People need to be able to openly share and receive feedback for improvement (not only personally but also professionally and for the business as a whole).
    Examples included Pixar’s review process and military After-Action-Reviews.
  3. Build a purpose via a shared goal.
    One example, of many, was Tony Hsieh’s concept of ‘collisions’ and how he’s worked to promote them at Zappos as well as The Downtown Project. He shares his goal (or Desired Future State) and people buy in.

There’s a ton of great lessons in the book, and I highly recommend reading (or listening) to it. I’m sure I’ll go back to it at some point to glean a few more ideas.

Story: 5

Audio elements: 5

Content: Mild adult language