JR project 3

Alfons Mucha exhibition.

Every art major has that one artist who inspired you so much that despite everyone telling you “you’re not going to have a job perusing art” or “how are you going to eat doing art ” you decide to follow in your dream. Well, in my case that was Mucha. Even as a young child, I found the commercial works of Mucha absolutely gorgeous. The organic decorations, the swerving letterings, and the breath taking beauty of the female characters in his work… just breath-taking.

So you can imagine how delighted, content and just so amazingly happy I was when I heard about Mucha coming to the Mori art museum in TOKYO!!?? No. you can not imagine. The Exhibition started on March 8th. Which was my birthday. It was faith telling me to go. Finally as a part of the JR project, I decided to go have a look.

Walking through the entrance I see a massive winding line. The crowd was lined up for the Yayoi Kusama show. Not even giving the line a second look, I walk in with my pre-reserved Mucha ticket. HA!

I shove all of my stuff in a locker, walk up to the third floor, hand my ticket to the ladies t the entrance and walk in to the exhibition.

One step in the exhibition aria, I am stunned. There is no other word to describe how I felt just then other than “breath taken”.

The massive 8m by 4m painting looks down at the crowd of people piled up in front of the work. I was surrounded by 4 masterpieces of Mucha and probably never could happier. My favourite out of all was “The Introduction of Slavonic Liturgy”. The painting was made out of three sections. The background, middle ground and the foreground. The background was mostly made of the cityscape, and the depiction of the people living at that time. In the foreground there were two different sections. The 1st on the right top corner were what seemed to be a bunch of priests dressed in robes. A very two-dimensional flat style over the precise landscape gave the painting a unique feeling to it.

As I walked farther in to the gallery and see the jewellery and the mirror he had designed. The unique work looked like it was grabbed out of one of his paintings.

The murals, posters, and the postage stamps seemed a tiny bit less creative, maybe because of the lack of his own idea (having to create them for the client) but still based on his very organic and natural style.

The exhibition was over all just amazing and the best money I spent and I can’t wait to go back again.