Join Us

Prospective Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows

The Mood and Cognition Lab is particularly well suited for those interested in a career in academia and research in university and medical research settings. Graduate students gain experience in administering diagnostic interviews with adolescents and adults (i.e., K-SADS, SADS-L, and SADS-C), as well as semi-structured life stress interviews. Opportunities exist to explore a variety of interests, including those relating to cognitive vulnerability, emotion regulation, and reward sensitivity. Collaboration between graduate students on grant-related and independent projects is common.

Dr. Alloy is currently accepting graduate student applications for the Clinical Psychology area in the Psychology Department. More information on how to apply can be found here.

Prospective Research Assistants

The lab is also an ideal fit for undergraduate students and postbacs who demonstrate a keen interest and motivation in gaining clinical research experience, particularly those wishing eventually to apply to graduate school in psychology. Past research assistants (RAs) have gone on to clinical psychology Ph.D. programs, including at George Mason University, the University of Minnesota, and the University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill.

RA responsibilities include participant screening and recruitment, data coding and entry, conducting literature searches, and assisting in the daily maintenance of lab projects. Didactic seminars are held during the semester on a variety of topics including mood disorders research, applying to clinical psychology graduate programs, and job opportunities in the field. RAs who demonstrate exceptional potential, are dependable, and able to make a longer commitment to the lab are often able to gain additional experiences including administering diagnostic and life stress interviews, and assisting graduate students on projects that could lead to authorship on papers and/or conference presentations.

We are routinely accept applicants for honors’ credit, independent study credit, or volunteer experience. Occasionally, paid experience (e.g., work study) is also available, particularly in the case of those with prior research experience, either in our lab or elsewhere. If you are interested in applying for an RA position in our lab, an application form may be obtained here.