“Is Physical Security for Computers Important?”
Smart devices such as Microsoft Surface, iPad, Samsung tablets, and laptops are coming out in shapes that can be easily concealed and stolen without much haggling with wires. It is absolutely important to protect your device because it is important and stores all of your information. Here are few tips that will help reduce the chances of your item being stolen.
1. On your personal equipment, add your contact information permanently on the device. You can also etch your equipment or add a security plate. To know more, click on the following links:
Security Plates – Stop The Theft
2. When in public spaces, using strong security cables to lock down your portable device to the desk or working space, can prevent thefts from occurring. Invest in some now!:
Security Cables & More
3. Helpful hints: Never leave your computer or device untended in a public space!
4. Install tracking software on your laptop. Companies such LoJack offer a subscription service that can be used to track your device. You may also try to download a free, open-source tracking tool “Prey” that offers similar service.
5. Last but not least, use a strong password on your device/workstation. Always lock your computer when not around using it. How to Create a Strong Password Links:
Windows Tips for Passwords
Norton Password Generator
Always be attentive about your device and surroundings! And to help, security cables, software and strong passwords are always available!