Tech Tip: Reboot Your Computer, It Will Thank You For It.

Do you ever wonder why technical support people always seems to recommend you to try rebooting your computer whenever you report a problem?  Do you think it’s because they don’t know how to fix the problem?  Do you think they are just trying to be annoying?

It could be a mixture of both, but seriously the real reason a technician will always ask you to try rebooting your computer is because they know that a lot more occurs during a system restart than many people are aware of.  When you reboot a computer it does not simply power itself off and then back on again, though it seems that way.

When a computer is restarted the operating system performs a series of diagnostic checks and fixes any problems it detects automatically.  If a program was eating up your memory or temporary hard drive space those resources will be freed up following a reboot.  Computers, even those just out of the box have lots of software installed on them, some you will never see or interact with.  The longer software runs the more likely it will begin to misbehave.  Rebooting a computer restores the hardware and software to a refreshed state.TU

Also, rebooting helps in troubleshooting.  If you reboot and the problem goes away then we know that the computer was just ready for a reboot.  If you reboot and the same problem repeats itself the list of possibilities are narrowed and further troubleshooting can focus on resolving the problem rather than identifying the problem.

Here are additional tips:

You do not have to wait until you have a problem to reboot!  Be proactive and reboot nightly or weekly.   Wouldn’t you rather reboot on your terms than be forced to reboot when you are in the middle of typing a paper?

This is not a Windows thing!  Macs and Linux computers will also suffer from resource overload if they are not rebooted regularly.

More info :
Microsoft: Turning Off your computer properly
OS X Mavericks: Schedule a shutdown

6 thoughts on “Tech Tip: Reboot Your Computer, It Will Thank You For It.”

1. Excellent explanation of why it is standard practice to reboot if you are experiencing any issues. Wish this was more common knowledge. Could save a large amount of time in the long run. Thanks for doing your part to spread the word. Much appreciated!

2. Hey there I am so grateful I found your blog page, I really
    found you by error, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and
    would just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a all
    round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I
    don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up
    the awesome job.

3. Fickleness and discomfort around the use of technology for basic operational
    issues is gone. 5G, 3G also had an interim step up in the form of 3.
    Alexander pointed out that this product is very revolutionary and
    is an achievement that will help in curbing energy consumption to
    a great extent.

4. I myself am a computer hardware engineer from India. This is true that computer will than you for rebooting. As we do multitasking there re many software which becomes unstable while being in cache memory, Temporary files for secondary memory. So it is highly advisable to reboot your PC.