Inside The Apple Store: The Rules That Govern The Retail Chain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/15/apple-store_n_877553.html

I saw this article online today, some highlights:

— In-store technicians are asked to deal with emotional customers by using “simple reassurances” that they are listening, like, “Uh-huh” and “I understand.”

— Employees at the Genius Bar are asked to say “as it turns out” instead of “unfortunately,” for a more positive spin on their bad news.

— Employees are forbidden from correcting customer mispronunciations, because it would make them feel “patronized.”

— New employees are made to shadow more experienced co-workers and are forbidden to talk to customers until they’re ready–which takes a few weeks, or more.

2 thoughts on “Inside The Apple Store: The Rules That Govern The Retail Chain

1. Thanks for sharing this Katie. I don’t think libraries will ever operate quite like the Apple Store, but I do think there are some good customer service lessons we can learn from them – especially in the area of giving a unique user experience.
    I will find myself using “as it turns out” in place of “unfortunately. That’s a good tip.

2. It was great to read this article, Katie. Thanks.
    I like Apple’s idea of a service philosophy acronym – maybe it would help us create a statement in our public services retreat?
    — Apple’s retail philosophy is described by the acronym A.P.P.L.E. — “Approach customers with a personalized warm welcome,” “Probe politely to understand all the customer’s needs,” “Present a solution for the customer to take home today,” “Listen for and resolve any issues or concerns,” and “End with a fond farewell and an invitation to return.”
    (Also, it’s interesting to read again about a “fond farewell” – similar to the Ritz-Carlton’s Third Step in the Three Steps of Service.)