Second Blog Post- My Review of the C.W. Peale Exhibit

The American Philosophical Society Museum put a grand exhibit on Charles Wilson Peale. Upon entering I was actually greeted by “Mr. Peale” himself, he introduced himself and gave me a little history of his whole life. Once his introduction was done he brought me over to the portrait of George Washington, and he explained how this was one of the many copies he made of the picture to make some money. On closer inspection of the portrait, I pointed out two soldiers behind George Washington and asked Mr. Peale who they were. He informed me that the two soldiers faces were based of him and his brother. As I continued through the exhibit I came upon the various sketches he had is his sketch bad. One something I had picked up on was how close Peale must have been with George Washington, because there were two sketches of them together. I also appreciated the other sketches in his sketch book, it was incredible to see how much detail Peale put into his work even though his sketches have now become faded. Something else I found interesting were the letters that were sent and received by Peale, with letters from Thomas Jefferson and other big figures through the American revolution. One part of the exhibit showed off the annual ticket holders book with signatures from John Adams and James Monroe, showing how well-known Peale’s museum. I was very surprised by this because I was not aware of how far an outreach Peale’s museum had on the world and how many big figures attended the museum. This exhibit was great in relation to class because I was able to see the public influence that Peale and his museum had on the expanding America. One thing that I was very disappointed in was the lack of things from Peale’s museum. They did not have a lot of things that were related to the museum but more on Peale, his family, and his relation to famous American patriots. It was sad because I was hoping that the exhibit would expand upon his accomplishments in museum and show some of his biggest attractions.