gough-journalism-article1119

I chose this story because it fits perfectly with what we talked about in urban legends. After the Paris attacks, a rumor came out that a security guard Zouheir, also a Muslim man, stopped the suicide bombers at the France-Germany soccer game from coming into the stadium and killing what could’ve been hundreds of more people. I saw this story on Facebook and I immediately shared it. Apparently, I didn’t learn my lesson after our fact checking of stories last class.

This article proves that Zouheir was not only at a different part of the stadium when the explosion happened, but his religion was also never identified at all. After the Wall Street Journal posted the incorrect story, it was shared by thousands of others on social media (including me). Fortunately, the Wall Street Journal corrected its mistake, but people are still sharing the false heroic story that they believe to be true.

Wendling, Mike. “The myth of Zouheir, a ‘hero Muslim security guard’ in Paris.” BBC. November 17, 2015. www.bbc.com. http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-34845882