Historians develop many skills in order to practice their discipline. My expectation for this advanced-level course is that by the end of the semester you will acquire and/or sharpen the following skills:
· recognizing/comparing/contrasting varied interpretations of historical events
· collecting and organizing historical data
· employing primary and secondary sources to construct and sustain a historical argument
· writing with clarity, cohesion and precision
· understanding the definition of plagiarism and using standard methods of citation to avoid it
· refining command of library and Internet research skills
It will be beneficial if you keep in mind these skills as you progress in this course over the semester, especially but not exclusively when you are preparing assignments.