For Colores Girls Study on Mental Health

Bitch, You Must Be Crazy: Representations of Mental Illness in Ntozake Shange’s For Colored Girls Who Consider Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf (1976),sorry for the aggression. This study examines how For Colored Girls employs Black Women and their experiences with mental illness, it also talks about the effects of a suicide crisis. Louis suggests that mental illness does not exist outside socio-historical and cultural configurations (Louis, 2013). The researcher also implies the title “For Colored Girls” with both a question and proposition and placing it into African American cultural context. Why do colored girls consider suicide? The study argues that For Colored Girls gives us the understanding of social conditions of Black women experiences in mental health and insights to treatment and prevention (Louis, 2013). The paper looks into three issues For Colored Girls considers addressing the lack of mental health within the play Interplay between social context and psychological conditions, womanhood and connections between self-reclamation and sanity (Louis, 2013).

I am excited that I have found an article that speaks on a favorite film and plays, For Colored Girls. I am still waiting for the request for the full report to get a better understanding of the study. However, it seems like it speaks to the basis of the knowledge the social conditions of Black women dealing with mental health and proves that For Colored Girl does give insight into black women experiences and treatment. The only thing that I am worried about is I am focused on films, and this is speaking on the play. For Colored Girls, the film is a bit different from the actual play. I would use this article to help me argue the need for adding black experiences with mental health, treatment and prevention can bring conversation within the Black women. I would also like to add in the studies explorations of the mental health issues I have listed above. I believe it is essential for people to understand a film like For Colored Girls first, they must be able to learn about mental illness and its various forms. That is what I am trying to prove with my film and what is discussed in this article.

I had a meeting with Kristina Devoe, and she has helped me guide my paper even further. I was having difficulties in finding articles that did not just speak on mental health being a stigma in today’s society. So maybe that is the problem, the topic of mental health in black films is not studied enough. I am now in the verge of finding articles that talk about white movies that talk about mental health such as my favorite film Girl, Interrupted, and seeing how those articles talk about the film within studies and how they define mental health. I have come across another theory, and it is a mental disability through a black feminist’s theoretical framework. I am still doing my research on that theory and defining mental disability. I am hoping to finish my literature review this Sunday and start the next sections of the draft paper.

Louis, D. M. , 2012-03-07 “Bitch You Must Be Crazy: Mental Illness and Ntozake Shange’s For Colored Girls (1976)” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the 36th Annual National Council for Black Studies, Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, Atlanta, GA 2014-11-24 from http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p557446_index.html