With Open Heart, Mind & Ears

George W. Miller III talks to Jennifer Griffin, Ph.D., who became the Temple’s first vice president for public safety in August. The longtime Delaware State Trooper was also an adjunct professor at the University of Delaware.

You’ve been in Delaware for such a long time, and you seem to have made a home for yourself at the University of Delaware. What made you interested in this position at Temple? 

I have made a home in Delaware for the last 24 years, but I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and attended Millersville University for my undergraduate degree. I am leaving the University of Delaware and the Delaware State Police with a full heart of love and admiration. Still, I wanted to join my love of the university environment with my passion for public service, and the Vice President of Public Safety position was the perfect fit. Temple is a highly regarded, large university with a diverse population and many cultural influences. The campus has energy and a vibrant feel, while there’s also an undercurrent of resilience and grit. I am genuinely excited to join the Temple University family and look forward to connecting with all unique communities within and outside the campus.

What do you think will be the biggest challenges in this new role?  

Honestly, I don’t see any challenges, as I prefer to see opportunities. One of the things that attracted me to this position was the university’s leadership and the feeling I got when speaking to campus safety employees, faculty, staff, and students. Before applying and throughout the hiring process, I extensively researched the opportunities and the obstacles, and I see overwhelming positive opportunities in this new role. I took a very thoughtful approach to applying for this position because I wanted to ensure that it was a good fit for me personally and professionally and that I was a good fit for the university. I created a SWOT chart (strength, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) for numerous areas within this position’s roles and responsibilities, and overall, I kept returning to the potential. Every job and situation has challenges and obstacles, but I’m coming into this position with an open heart, mind, and ears to find solutions.

What strategies will you employ to keep the university community safe at a time when crime and violence are at high levels in the city, especially in the areas near campus? 

Campus and community safety is a primary concern and focus of my position and one that I do not take lightly. Unfortunately, no one strategy will solve the crime and violence issues. Still, there are strategies that, in conjunction, can work to create safer environments while engaging the community to be a partner. As a police officer and operations commander, I have used various strategies depending on the issues, such as stratified policing, data-informed, community-focused policing, and problem-oriented policing with an emphasis on procedural justice and building trust-based relationships within the community. I am committed to employing strategies that keep our officers and communities safe while working to open the lines of communication and engage in collaboration to prevent and solve crimes. Overall, I want our students, faculty, staff, and communities to feel safe in an environment where public safety and communities communicate and work together towards joint crime prevention strategies, so that we are meeting their needs while sharing with them the shared ownership and outcomes.

How will you work with the non-university residents in the communities that surround the campus?  

Our non-university residents are essential to campus safety, and building this relationship is a key focus. I look forward to engaging our communities to continue developing and building stronger university and community partnerships. I’m most interested in personally hearing their perspectives and experiences and working to collaborate and engage them on problem-oriented solutions. Most times, police aren’t called until there is a crisis of sorts; however, the conditions that created the situation have existed for some time. We will research and employ numerous techniques to serve our university and non-university communities by utilizing our resources while engaging other non-university resources to support all of our communities.

Do you intend to teach at Temple? Is that something that is important to you?  

Currently, my full attention is getting to know my campus safety team and the communities we serve, including students, faculty, staff, and our surrounding neighborhoods. I loved teaching and coaching at the University of Delaware (UD) and working with students is one of my passions that brought me to this point, but I will serve Temple in a different capacity now. However, my experience at UD has informed my approach to building relationships and my sincere interest in student development and success. I hope to get into the classroom at Temple to guest lecture and connect with students. I have already had incredible connections with the Temple Student Government to meet and hear student perspectives.

You have worked with the field hockey team at the University of Delaware, and you played basketball at Millersville. Will you get involved with the sports programs at Temple?  

Absolutely, working with student-athletes is an excellent opportunity to connect with some of our student body and is a prime opportunity to create positive relationships between law enforcement and students, as well as to recruit. Student-athletes are a significant population due to:

•     The diversity of athletes,

• Their understanding of teamwork and commitment,

•  Their problem-solving and communication skills,

•     Their fitness levels.

They also understand time management, collaboration, managing multiple commitments, and service to others, all qualities that a well-rounded police officer need.   I look forward to connecting with Temple’s sports and club programs.

Working in law enforcement can be stressful. How do you stay focused and positive?  

My dissertation to complete my doctorate was on law enforcement stress, resiliency, and work-family conflict. As a police officer, I have known the stressors for the last 23 years, especially as a supervisor. Ensuring I am taking proper care of myself through various self-care strategies is extremely important because I know I cannot help others if I don’t take care of myself. I ensure I get adequate rest, work out daily, take nightly walks with my husband after dinner, eat healthy foods, and use meditation and yoga to reconnect with myself. I have also been teaching for the FBI National Academy Associates Comprehensive Officer Resiliency Program for several years, and I use many of the strategies I teach personally. We must ensure mental health and safety/wellness resources for individuals working in public safety to ensure they can show up their best to assist and support our communities and return home to their families physically, emotionally, and mentally healthy.

Photo by Ryan Brandenberg.