About Mighty Writers
PROGRAM INTERN JOB DESCRIPTION Part-time, unpaid
Mighty Writers is a nonprofit that teaches Philadelphia kids, seven to 17, to think and write with clarity. Our free, out-of- school writing programs in South & West Philadelphia have grown to serve 2,000 kids a year. We will expand to serve more students in two brand new locations in North Philadelphia and the Italian Market neighborhood (serving bilingual Spanish- and English-speaking students) in 2015.
The MW Program Intern is a part-time position (10-15 hours/week, 150 hours in all) that reports to Program Director and supports the Program Manager in overseeing many aspects of programs including:
- Tutoring in the Academy and/or serving as a teaching assistant to workshops
- Program registration
- Family/student intake interviews
- Family/student phone calls
- Program breakdown and closing the building
The program assistant also assists with some administrative tasks related to programs such as:
- Light filing
- Data collection and entry
- Document creationResponsibilities
- Maintain physical presence and support programs at site no less than 10 hours/week during the term of the internship.
- Stay informed about current projects and timelines for writing assignments within the Academy program, as well as any workshops for which s/he serves as teaching assistant.
- Read new student writing and respond.
- Become familiar with Mighty Writers writing rubrics and best practices of writing instruction and implementthroughout programs.
- Assist with preparing a variety of documents (e.g. correspondence, agendas, event programs, bulletins, etc.) forworkshops and other programs.
- Assist with maintaining files and records pertinent to the programs.
- Responds to a variety of inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. staff, parents, students,public agencies, etc.)
- Help with overseeing inventory of supplies and materials.
- Help to oversee some operations, such as:o Troubleshoot physical site issues as needed (electric, HVAC, plumbing) o Keep sites clean and in good shape
o Outfit spaces with new/current technology and replace as needed o Update décor as needed
o Systems (computers, phones).
- Be one of the public faces of the organization and represent Mighty Writers to the media, other organizations and the public at large.
- Remain knowledgeable and informed regarding any issues, regulations or professional standards that may impact Mighty Writers’ policies or operations.
- Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent or sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Education and Work Experience
- High School diploma or GED required
- Two years college and/or equivalent experience desired
- Experience working directly with city youth in an educational settingQualifications
- One year direct experience working with youth in an education-focused environment prefered
- A strongly held educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational, time management and computer skills
- Some leadership capabilities
- Interest, enthusiasm and affinity for working with children, youth and adultsTo apply:Please submit resume and cover letter to the program director of the site where you would like to work. MW South – Tanesha Ford (email@example.com)
MW North – Shamira O’Neil (firstname.lastname@example.org)
MW West – Khalia Robinson (email@example.com)
MW El Futuro – Madeline Karp (firstname.lastname@example.org) Cover letter should answer these questions:
- What is your educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed? Where does this philosophy come from?
- How does your previous work and life experience qualify you to take on this position?
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.