We had a so-called field trip for Shinya’s acquaintance’s cooking class, learning how to cook Japanese dish oyako-don (親子丼). This year was all about cooking at home and saving money, also learning how to cook little by little. All I make at home is different kinds of pasta…. So I thought it was a good opportunity to catch up on unfamiliar activity, and lowkey socialize. Besides, I wanted to have a reason to wake up early in the morning, self will itself was not enough apparently all along.

Ten o’clock at Akihabara station, the time was already dreading me, the weather that day was already bad. Drizzling rain and the mild humidity would have made my unwashed hair would make it even more miserable. But I was on time, and I did not forget to bring an umbrella with me.

The group was divided into A and B, taking turns to take the cooking class, I guess it was a small venue. I was team B, with Shinya B sensei (pun intended), so our group had to kill time until team A finished their cooking class. We looked around some special areas the “tourist guide” took us, examples were taiyaki たい焼き shop, river and boat shops around the river, omiyage お土産 shop, and a small shrine. Oh, and of course the highlight, the grocery store. I actually did end up buying stuff, two, two pairs of stockings. Girls who were thin stockings would understand the constant purchase of it…

Then to the cooking class, the class was held in a mansion-looking building. It was such a cute and cozy place, had an amazing bathroom too. The stairway led us to the second floor, where the cooking class was going to be done. First step was to try out the soup. To be honest I didn’t think it was so significant, but I guess I can think of it as an appetizer ha-ha. Here comes the cooking class evaluation. I think that the cooking teacher needs practice to have the class flow fluently. Her English was not fluent, but it was understandable, BUT I don’t believe that that is enough to teach a class. I had a hard time keeping up with her pace, because there was too many pauses and reading in between the lines.

When the demonstration ended, it was the students turn to try it out. We were partnered up with two people per group, and I was partnered with my professor Shinya. He told me to just stir, so I did. He did 95% of the cooking so all I did was stir, film Shinya, and eat. It was a productive breakfast for me.

Class ended, and just when I thought we were parting ways, I somehow joined up with the remaining group for Shinya’s birthday after party. The after party that was expected to end in three hours, was followed up by a second round, to Shin-Okubo, where Shinya always has his Korean feast. If I put it into description, the first round was at a chill Western looking place with fancy appetizers alongside with Wine bottles, then the second round was at a homely space of cheap furnitures and busky atmosphere with tons of homemade side dishes and bowls of makgeoli막걸리. I was glad to be back home especially with different people who I wouldn’t come with normally. I was glad to have a prviate time outside of class with Shinya. Looking at fellow foreign acquaintances enjoying Korean meal always puts a motherly smile on me, ironic how I’m the youngest one though.

It was a full day, full night, full tummy, and full heart. Thank you everyone for coming out.