The study of Economics is a tremendous enabler for working in the 21st century knowledge economy, helping organizations grow and sustain themselves. The World Economic Forum recently published a report on the workforce of 2020. It will necessitate the following skill set:
- complex problem solving
- critical thinking
- people management
- coordinating with others
- emotional intelligence
- judgment and decision-making
In Spring 2019, the Economics department is offering a project-based internship course for the purpose of developing and using these skills within growth businesses and organizations.
- Businesses and non-profit organizations host students to provide meaningful experiences for the students and to build new value for their organizations.
- Students will use Economics principles to develop a project that identifies and collects relevant data to solve complex growth problems.
Today’s knowledge economy is dependent upon workers being able to use economic principles for creating new value. Economics students and graduates no longer work only with statistics, they are being called on to use their Economics principles and platform in practical ways that will ensure growth throughout our complex economy.
Build Your Context, Confidence, and Credibility
The project-based internship program in Economics provides students with the CONTEXT of current organizational challenges, experience that builds CONFIDENCE in one’s ability to solve these problems, and the CREDIBILITY of knowing and letting other people know about the value one can achieve.
To get started:
- Complete an information request form.
- Make an appointment to discuss your interests with Prof. Frankel, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Explore the list of businesses, organizations, and projects that are in need of help.
- Select a semester when you would like to do a project.
- Register for the Economics project-based internship course.
- Interview with a business or organization and get matched to a project.
- Compete the project using the project templates to direct your work, supported by your course instructor.
- Create a summary of the work and value that you contributed to your host organization.
Take advantage of this opportunity to build your expertise and ensure your place in the 21st century world of work!