Joe Warren

I’m an associate professor in the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences at Stony Brook University. I was an undergraduate engineering major and discovered underwater acoustics as a summer student researcher at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. My primary research area is the use of active acoustics to measure zooplankton and fish populations.  Active acoustic technology allows us to “see” deep into the interior of the ocean and to remotely study the organisms that live in the mesopelagic zone (200 to 1000 m deep). With our acoustic instruments, we can follow fish and zooplankton as they migrate vertically in the water column and (in conjunction with net tows) we can estimate how many of these animals there are in the deep! As part of the Deep Search team, I work with scientists using nets to sample the animals that live in this region by providing them advice on where to put their nets to more efficiently catch animals – so I’m basically a fishing guide for deep-sea creatures.