200 Reflections

Hey all –

I don’t know how much you know about how CUFBA is run, but it’s definitely a labor of love and passion. Nate and I created it in our spare time three years ago with a little bit of money from Michigan State (thank you!) and some internet elbow grease from the student staffers at Oregon State Human Services Resource Center (thank you too!). We never thought that an effort to connect the few campus food pantries, banks, and closets that were around in 2011-2012 would turn into such an incredible movement. We definitely never thought that we’d be considered the voice and knowledge holders of this work. Today it is still just Nate and I running things…both still in our spare time. I am the “voice” while Nate takes on our technical work…getting things lined up like the forum and wrangling our web guys to get them to move faster on all of our ideas. We have lots and lots and lots of ideas.

Nate is a PhD student and I have been working full time as a student affairs professional, so we apologize if we don’t get back to emails as quickly as we would if CUFBA was our main gig. For a few weeks I will be a little off the radar because I am taking a new position at Single Stop USA in New York. Going through a cross-country move makes it hard to be on top of things, but I am writing to you from Lawrence, KS, where I will be speaking at University of Kansas folks as they start their hunger movement on campus. I will be talking about CUFBA and highlighting some of your great work.

CUFBA is about to reach 200 member schools, and we are grateful that there are so many schools out there looking to alleviate student food insecurity. In the coming months we have plans to create a larger pool of resources to share with you and other schools focused on this important issue. We may put out calls for things like budgets, food lists, volunteer management protocols, and other things that can help build our team capacity and develop best practices. I am planning a YouTube video series, and I hope that campuses will contribute with virtual tours.

We are also looking to bring on a couple of new folks to join us in CUFBA development. If you have interest in pitching in, we are hoping to find people interested in engaging in campus consultations and/or creating educational resources. Shoot us an email cufbanational@gmail.com

So thanks to you all…for your work, your patience, and your support!

In service to students,

Clare

Originally published by Clare Cady April 28, 2015