Hello world!

Hello world. My name is Kolby Harris, I am a 20-year-old sophomore with a film and media arts major. I like to consider myself a fun, thoughtful, creative person that loves to push the limits of imagination. My experience with fiction as the reader has always been fun and interesting. Fiction has always been my favorite genre to read or consume when it comes to entertaining content. When I was younger I read a lot of Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and many more of the popular action/adventure fiction books of that time. I gravitate more toward action/adventure and fantasy fiction however, I still enjoy other types of fiction such as drama, mystery, or realistic fiction. I can’t name a specific author that would be my favorite but there are many that I find very talented. Although fiction may be my favorite genre, I enjoy other types of readings as well as I said previously. Besides action/adventure, mystery, and fantasy, I also love nonfiction, drama, and screenplays since I like scriptwriting. One of my favorite nonfiction books is “How to be an Anti-racist” by Ibram X. Kendi. I found this book to be extremely interesting and profound, I believe everyone should read this book because it educates those who are not exactly in touch with a lot of the problems the world is facing today. I would say my experience as a writer is skilled, I’ve been writing for an immense amount of time and I love doing it. It’s my favorite way to express myself and the best way to get my thoughts on paper and out of my head. I enjoy writing stories, information pieces, and just coming up with ideas through writing. I may be skilled but I’m always looking to improve these skills. I would say that I write frequently, mainly because of school work but that definitely doesn’t take up all of my time writing. I spend some free time writing and working on things to push myself beyond my creativity. I used o own a journal I would constantly write my thoughts and creative ideas into, then as I became older and got a laptop I didn’t see the purpose anymore. I don’t think that was a proper way of thinking though because if I had a journal now, then I would keep it on me most of the time and be able to write things down at any moment instead of waiting until I got back to my computer. Perhaps I’ll get a journal again and try it to see how things work. I’ve never written for a public audience before, this blog will be my first time but most of the writing I do now is for school. I signed up for this class because I love fiction and I love to create and write stories of my own. Creating stories, characters, and worlds are some of my favorite things about writing, I feel like the possibilities are endless and I have control over all aspects of it. I feel that this class will present me with opportunities to grow my creative abilities and push me out of my comfort zone. I hope that we do fun activities that allow us to collaborate on projects and give my peers ideas and vise versa. I think that a collective of creative writing students can work very well together and feed off of each other to create stories, worlds, and characters that readers can love and enjoy, and that is why I took this class. I hope to learn more about fiction writing, character development, and the importance of perspective along with many other things and aspects of fiction. I’m excited for the readings in this class because I feel like going over them as a class and dissecting them is going to make all of us better writers in general. I love consuming new content so this is definitely something I’m looking forward to. I am not familiar with the authors but I’m excited to get to know them, their stories, and their writing style. I’m also excited to learn from these authors and hopefully, their stories will inspire the work I do in the future. There isn’t really anything that I’m too nervous about but I feel like somethings will come up eventually. For example, there could be a project or blog post that I’m stressed about but it’s nothing I can’t overcome. I’m excited to see where the future takes me and I’m ready to improve my creative writing skills.

Join the Conversation

1 Comment