Forty Shades of Rain

Although this book was absolutely and horrifically long, I actually did enjoy parts of it. I say “parts” only because a lot of it was very science-y, if you will, which was to be expected. In class on Wednesday, we discussed whether or not we thought Kim Stanley Robinson made this science sound more exciting through poetic writing rather than the cold hard facts, and I have to say I agree. Even though part of the reason I wasn’t married to the book was because of all the science Kim Stanley Robinson did manage to make it readable and more interesting. Ten points for Kim Stanley Robinson. A part of the book I did really like was the part where Frank had a romantic encounter in the elevator. I think that provided a more human touch to the book (not that the book was very non-human anyway) and helped make it a little more relatable while also striking an emotional cord because we all assume that something bad is probably going to happen. I think the connection to climate change in this book is painstakingly obvious. A massive rainstorm, the Hyperniño, hits the West Coast; obviously triggered by climate change. Along with this there is another huge storm that generates in the Atlantic Ocean that floods Washington, D.C., trapping the scientists in the capitol building. In the second to last line of the book, Charlie finds he can hardly contain his “I-told-you-so” attitude about this entire situation and bursts out, “So, Phil [the senator]! Are you going to do something about global warming now?” (393). Overall, I thought the book was just fine. Not as good as Climate Changed (the graphic novel) but DEFINITELY not as bad as Earth Abides. Also, I agree with the majority when I say that Kim Stanley Robinson really is a fantastic writer. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys lots of science, politics, and the idea of meeting mysterious women in elevators.