The First Time Was The Charm For This Temple Senior!

Temple senior computer science major Byron Jenkins landed an internship with TD Bank last summer after attending his first (!!) career fair in the spring! That’s not all he’s been up to during his time at Temple…read on to learn more about Byron’s story…

TD Bank recently featured Byron in promoting its internship program.

Major/Graduation year:

Computer Science / 2019

What organization was your internship with?

TD Bank

What semester did you do this internship?

2018 Summer

What is/was your job function, and what does a typical day entail?

My job as a Technology Intern was to redesign TD’s online credit card platform as a Proof of Concept. Each day during the summer internship, I worked not only with my peers, but with leaders of the organization.

How did you find out about this opportunity, and what was the interview process like?

I discovered this opportunity during the CST Job Fair last Spring. It was the first job fair I have ever attended. I spoke with the recruiter, expressing my passion in technology and he suggested that I apply. There was an on-campus interview then a super-day interview hosted at the office (in my case, Wilmington Delaware). You are there with other potential interns and there are three rounds of interviews. It sound intimidating, but as long as you are able to talk about your experience, those three rounds will be completed before you know it. Many people, including myself, sometimes overthink the interview process. You know what kind of questions you may face, and you have an idea of what kind of answers they are looking for. The critical part about it is HOW you present those answers.

How has your internship related to your course work?

This internship involved Web/Mobile Development and it touched the surface of Software Architecture. I had the privilege to work with an Architect. I also received college credits for this experience.

What is the most important thing you’ve learned during your internship/job experience?

The most important thing I have learned from the internship was how to manage being uncomfortable. I was exposed to tools and technologies I had no experience using. This uncomfortableness urged me to learn and adapt.

Have you used the Temple University Career Center’s services and resources, or attended events?

I have attended multiple events and I had my resume reviewed several times.

Did the Career Center assist you in any way in finding this internship, applying, interviewing, etc.?

When I had multiple offers, I consulted with the Career Center staff to review my options.

What piece of advice would you give to current students embarking on an internship/job search?

Research the company you are interviewing for, understand their mission statement and/or slogan and question how do your skills apply. Look up current events that catches your interest and mention it during the interview. For example, if you are interested in Cybersecurity, look up the company’s current events that mentions cybersecurity. At that point, not only are you presenting your skills, but you are displaying your knowledge about the company.

Have you learned any valuable lessons about obtaining jobs/internships during your time at Temple?

It is a competitive field in my major. We all are dashing towards opportunities. I learned how to differentiate myself from others. I have my own interests, preferences, experiences, and my passion is unique. I constantly remind myself that and showcase that to recruiters/employers.

Do you have a profile on Twitter and/or Instagram? If so, what are your usernames? Is there anything else you’d like to mention?

My username on Twitter and Instagram is @codeherk

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn: Byron Jenkins

Also, I just released my game, Huelo, for iOS devices that focuses on color coordination. It is free to download and play.

Check out Byron’s new game in the app store!