Twitter Takeover #6 – Marlie Derstine

This summer the Career Center is featuring weekly Takeovers of our Twitter account by the best and brightest Temple students who will walk us through a ‘day in the life’ at their summer internship or job. Our sixth Takeover takes place on Tuesday, August 2 and features Temple junior Marlie Derstine, an intern for Street Child – a non-profit organization based in Barcelona, Spain! Learn a little more about Marlie below, and make sure you’re following @templecareers on Twitter on Tuesday!

Marlie Picture

What’s your major?

I am majoring in Communication Studies and I have a minor in Public Relations.

Where are you working this summer and what is your role? What does it usually entail?

This summer, I am interning in Barcelona through Temple’s partner, Dream Careers, at a non-profit charity organization called Street Child. Street Child’s main mission is to provide accessible education to the children living throughout some of the world’s poorest nations, focusing mostly in West Africa and Nepal. I am in charge of the ambassador program here in the Barcelona office so I usually post our volunteer opportunities online on volunteer and job portals, I receive the applications, review them, and forward them on to the Street Child headquarters in London if I believe they are qualified. I also help out with Street Child’s public relations and event planning.

How did you find out about this opportunity?

I found out about this opportunity through SMC’s Study Away program. I just applied for the international summer internship in Barcelona through Study Away and Dream Careers had a list or companies and organizations here in Barcelona to choose from, and I applied to this one!
Where are you from?

I am from the Philadelphia suburbs, upper Bucks County. My hometown is Perkasie but no one has ever heard of it, it’s very small.

What are your professional goals – a career in a particular industry, a graduate degree in a specific field, etc.?

My goal is to continue working in the non-profit sector and to maybe one day be the founder of my own charity organization.