Twitter Takeover #5 – Marissa Reale

This summer the Career Center is featuring weekly Takeovers of our Twitter account by the best and brightest Temple students who will walk us through a ‘day in the life’ at their summer internship or job. Our fifth Takeover takes place on Tuesday, July 26 and features Temple junior Marissa Reale, an intern for Janssen – a pharmaceutical company under Johnson & Johnson! Learn a little more about Marissa below, and make sure you’re following @templecareers on Twitter on Tuesday!

Marissa Reale picture

What’s your major?

My major is Strategic Communication, with a concentration in public relations. I’m also looking in to potentially earning a certificate in event planning.

Where are you working this summer and what is your role? What does it usually entail?

I’m a Communications Intern at Janssen, a pharmaceutical company under Johnson & Johnson. I support the Director of Strategic Communication for the Immunology and Oncology businesses. I help with internal and external public relations and communications. Some projects we work on include, communications about upcoming events or changes in the company, as well as various programs to help patients living with different diseases. The company’s Credo is the foundation of values for why we work so hard to put patients’ needs first. I’m working on my final intern project on an ongoing basis. In my final presentation, I plan to outline a proposal to introduce the use of Snapchat first internally, and then expanded externally. I also will discuss the use and value of the app to engage people during big conferences or events. Personally, I love being able to practice and apply what I’m learning in my PR classes every day throughout my internship.

How did you find out about this opportunity?

A family friend told me about the communications department at the company. After that, I applied through the website and interviewed regularly.

Where are you from?

I’m from Lansdale, Pennsylvania. It’s about 45 minutes outside Philadelphia.

What are your professional goals – a career in a particular industry, a graduate degree in a specific field, etc.?

Professionally, I plan to continue to pursue my career in PR. Specifically, I like the pharmaceutical, technology and broadcast news fields. I also would like to explore academic and lifestyle fields as well. Maybe after a few years of experience, I would return to school for a Master’s degree or MBA. In the future, I want to be viewed as a mentor and change-maker in my field.

Anything else you’d like to add?

I’m Secretary of PRSSA and earned the ‘Most Enthusiastic Learner’ award within the society in the Spring 2016 semester. I’m also an Account Executive in PRowl, the only student-run PR firm at Temple. Previously, I interned for over a year as the youngest intern at iHeart Media in Bala Cynwyd. I also love to network. Attending networking events is so important to expand your personal brand. I’m involved at Hillel and attend events regularly.

Can you provide your Twitter and Instagram handles, if you have them?

My handle is @riss_re for Twitter and Instagram, as well as Snapchat.